Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Durian Lover





The 'antidote' for heatiness.... Mangosteens. Our favourite exotic fruit too.





Everyone in my family and DH's family love durian to pieces. During each durian season, whenever my mil is in KL, she would buy loads of durians and we will all eat durian till we fall sick and feel bloated with durian. Burrrrppp.... yikes.... I hate the aftertaste and smell of burp. The odour of burped durian in a car with all windows wound up is enough to drive anyone nauseated instantly.

My gals have also acquired the love for durian right from the start. We once fed Alycia durian when she was around 6 - 8 months, she loved them so much that she screamed and wailed when the durian was finished. That was so funny and I even have that recorded in my camcorder.

Many people say that durian is an unhealthy fruit and is very fattening but the durian also has many nutritional values.

Here are the nutrition values of Durian (value per 100 g of the edible part) :

General components
Water 64.99 g
Energy 147 kcal
Energy 615 kj
Protein 1.47 g
Total lipid (fat) 5.33 g
Carbohydrate, by difference 27.09 g
Fiber, total dietary 3.8 g

Minerals
Calcium, Ca 6 mg
Iron, Fe 0.430 mg
Magnesium, Mg 30 mg
Phosphorus, P 38 mg
Potassium, K 436 mg
Sodium, Na 1 mg
Zinc, Zn 0.28 mg
Copper, Cu 0.207 mg
Manganese, Mn 0.324 mg

Vitamins
Vitamin C, ascorbic acid 19.7 mg
Thiamin 0.374 mg
Riboflavin 0.2 mg
Niacin 1.074 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.23 mg
Vitamin B-6 0.316 mg
Vitamin A, IU 45.000 IU
Vitamin A, retinol 5.000 µg



7 comments:

jazzmint said...

it's healthy, but like u mentioned, heaty...and yes mangosteen is the antidote ;).

karenyiau said...

I heard pregnant time can't eat durian leh... *drolling*

Btw, I've just tag you, check out here: http://yiau.blogspot.com/

Sweetpea said...

aiseh! everyone blogging about durian... have pity on those overseas :( i wanna eat!!

Anonymous said...

my favourite fruit too :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Sweetpea... that's because it's the durian season now. Eh, i also envy all the m'sian bloggers living overseas gloating about the nice cold weather there. It's freakin hot here.

Cheryl Leong said...

I didn't know that durian got so full of nutritions. I dun really fancy it but will eat & I totally agree with u tat the smeel of the durian in a car is really unbearable.... tat's y i forbide durian in my car ;)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Tks Cheryl 4 dropping by my blog. Will visit ur blog too.