Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, May 11, 2007

Using TV As Babysitter

Do you use the TV to babysit your kids? I do and I limit my gals' TV viewing time to between 1 - 2 hours a day. I only allow them to watch educational programs on TV or educational VCDs whenever I need to get some work done or take my baths. I've had my fair share of heart attacks when I let my maid babysit my kids when I had my bath. During these incidences, my 2 samseng gals got themselves hurt. My maid is the type who does not have foresight and just cannot predict if accidents can happen to toddlers. So, I prefer to let the TV babysit my gals. My 2 gals will behave so well, sitting quietly or dancing and singing whilst watching their favourite VCDs.




Each night when I need to have my shower, I will lock Sherilyn the samseng up in her cot and I will tell Alycia to jaga her sister. I will then leave the bathroom door ajar whilst I have my quick scrub, peeping into the room to check on them every now and then. My gals also learnt to sing most of their nursery rhymes thru these VCDs. So, using TV as babysitter ain't that bad an idea after all, as long as there's a limitation to using it, right?

5 comments:

Sweetpea said...

yes TV is a good babysitter, but u are doing great at monitoring the shows and hours. i am pro TV as a lot of educational programmes did actually teach aidan lots of things.

Anonymous said...

very common in every household to use TV as babysitter... including myself. :)

Health Freak Mommy said...

Sweetpea... my gals learnt a lot from the TV. Alycia always surprises me with her new vocab, all learnt from the tv.

Elaine... some mothers i know don't even have a tv at home. They are hardcore anti-tv for kids.

Liann said...

Hi Shireen,

I'm new here and happen to stumble onto your blog.

Yea, I do use the TV as a babysitter as well. And it's always educational DVDs/VCDs. One thing I never do is to leave them with the normal TV programmes. Cause I find that of late TV stations like to put horror movie trailers. And it looks and sounds really scary.

I hv 3 kids. 6 yrs,4 yrs and 21 months. And they love those shows with songs. And my youngest love Blues Clues. Throughout the day you'll hear them singing snippets from the shows they've seen. Really cute. They learn new vocabulary too. My daughter will out of the blue ask me what this or that phrase mean.

Another funny thing from watching TV is that they tend to speak with a slight American accent.

Sorry to take so much space... keep up the good job.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi Liann.. tks 4 dropping by my blog. Yup, I agree with the slight american slang and also american jargons.
Dont lar say u r taking so much space. All comments are very welcome here. Do drop by more, yah!