Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Wonders of Progesterone

I had always thought that progesterone is used only as a Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) by women suffering from Menopause but much later, I had learned that the benefits of using progesterone is manifold.

When I was pregnant with Alycia and Sherilyn, a blood test showed that I had very low levels of progesterone, which means that I am at high risk of a miscarriage, as the hormone progesterone is important to sustain a pregnancy. I was prescribed progesterone by my gynecologist to be taken orally and through insertion from week 6 through week 14 of both my pregnancies. With my 3rd pregnancy this time, I was also prescribed this life-saving hormones until week 12 of my pregnancy.

I was worried of the side effects of consuming too much progesterone but I was reassured by my doctor that natural progesterone does not cause any harm to the fetus. Thank God both my girls were born healthy and beautiful.

No comments: