Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, November 19, 2007

Homemade Chicken Rice



After 2 failed attempts, my maid finally got the chicken rice right yesterday. The first time, she had forgotten my instructions and put too much water to cook the rice, resulting in the rice being too soggy. The second time, I had told her to put only 1 potato but my maid who tried to be adventurous put 3 large potatoes to cook with the chicken. Not only that, she had also forgotten to add in the mushrooms and the sausages. The result was a total disaster. The chicken rice tasted like a potato pie and no one liked it. The third time, I drew up the menu specifically and reminded her time and again to put all the ingredients right - not too much water, only 1 potato, remember the mushrooms, dried shrimps, etc. The chicken rice turned up perfect and the gals loved them and licked their platters clean.

Ingredients:

Chicken (marinate with soya sauce and pepper)
Mushrooms
Dried shrimps
1 large potato or 2 small sized potatoes
Sausages (I used deli chicken sausages which are halal so that my maid can also eat and not as oily as Chinese sausages)
Sesame seed oil to fry the ingredients
Chopped garlic and shallots
A dash of MSG-free oyster sauce and tiny dollop of thick black sauce
A dash of rice wine (optional but not advisable if you're feeding toddlers)
Can also add in some chopped long beans for extra protein for toddlers
Chopped spring onions for garnishing



Method:
After cooking the chicken with the rest of the ingredients, add them into the pot of rice when you see 'holes' appearing in the pot of rice and stir the rice and chicken ingredients well.

2 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

This used to be my favourite dish cos it's easy to cook - put everything into the rice cooker ;) However, I don't cook it anymore since I don't eat rice.

Anonymous said...

I used to make this for myself.. too.. one pot meal.. but these day. the brat doesn't wanna eat meat at all. .so i had to stop making this kinda rice.. and cook some other stuff that she would eat.