Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, August 29, 2008

What Kind Of Mother Are You?

I just love observing how other parents handle their kids whenever I wait for my turn to see my doctor in the hospital. Today whilst I was waiting for our turn to see the pediatric nephrologist at SJMC, I observed many parents who came in with their kids.

One mother came in with her toddler who was about 9 months old to a year old and she had fever. The baby was very cute with big round eyes and she was really chubby and BIG! The baby's mother and the baby's grandmother were very BIG too. Though the baby had fever, her mother let her loose and she was crawling everywhere on the hospital floor. I just can't stand kids running around bare-footed or crawling on hospital floors and floors of public places. The carpets must be teeming with looming germs, not to mention dirt, dust mites and dust.

After crawling for a while, the baby's grandmother carried her whilst the baby's mother opened the wrapper of a bar of chocolate. I was curious to know if she would feed her baby the chocolate and yes, she did. She bit the chocolate, then spat it out and put the chocolate into her baby's mouth, many times .... and her baby was having fever. I was really amazed with this lady and some other parents. They seem so blase and 'cincai' when it comes to their baby's hygiene and with the choice of their baby's food. I am one health freak mommy who would never let my babies crawl on the floors of public places and would never feed my babies with chocolates when they are having fever. Would you?

6 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hahaha...i'm like you, i like to observe the parents too :D i definitely would not let my child crawl on the floor too :)

Fussy mum said...

i'm very particular about all these too....some parents just have this kind of 'cincai' attitude.

Anonymous said...

Heheh!! i'm like you .. PB thinks i have clean issues.. muhahaha!!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog, I'm a new mom and trying to do it right with guidance from friends, the internet and books. How do you handle a stubborn mil who does not listen to you? My mil secretly feed my baby honey (at 1 week old)despite me telling her not to. She insisted that's the practice those days. She also does not believe in sterilising bottles. She is only visiting but I find this frustrating enough coz I know there will be more incidents in future.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Anonymous.... this is tough coz it concerns your hub's mother! You just have to explain to her nicely w/o offending her why she cant feed the baby with honey. Maybe you can print her the article on botulism or article on why sterilizing bottles is important. Or just sterilize all the bottles yourself so that your mil doesnt hv to do them whilst u r at work. And keep the bottle of honey so that she cant feed your bb!

Anonymous said...

Tried telling her nicely and kept the honey before but she bought another! I will print some articles (good idea, thanks) for her to read.