Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, August 28, 2008

What A Mum.... and Would You Do It?

This is a backdated post.

About 3 months ago when I was waiting outside our paed's clinic in the hospital, I saw a mother of 2 walking into the waiting area. She has a 2-3 year old toddler walking next to her and another probably 9 month old to a year old toddler in a stroller. When my eyes shifted to her baby in the stroller, I was horrified and aghast. Guess what she gave her baby to chew on? Just take a guess. I bet no one in their right frame of mind would give this to their baby in replacement of a teething ring. Guess guess guess....... what.....














I saw the baby chewing on a shoe.... yes, you read me right. The cute and beautiful baby with big round eyes was chewing on a bright colored plastic Crocs shoe. I was so disgusted and quickly fixated my eyes on the shoe, just to make sure that the shoe was clean, brand new and not a dirty shoe. Ok, it looked clean but but but... a shoe for your toddler to chew on? I took a closer look at the shoe to see if it's a teething ring in the shape of a shoe but nope, it was indeed a Crocs shoe! OMG, what was the mother thinking of? The paint or the plastic from the shoe could come off easily and if ingested it's toxic for Pete's sake. Minutes later, I saw the baby who was chewing on the shoe crawling everywhere on the hospital floor.... bare-footed and bare hands! Of all places, the mother let her baby crawl on the hospital floor! How clean can that be! And the mother doesn't look uneducated, she had an educated look, is pretty and has the 'rich lady' look too but the way she handled her baby makes me think she's someone from a kampung.

About an hour later when she left, her baby was still sucking the Crocs shoe! Goodness gracious! Aiyoh.... I can never forget this incident! Would you ever give your teething toddler a brand new shoe to bite even if it's disinfected? Come on, be frank with me.

I rather let my baby chew on some durians than on a shoe!

7 comments:

mommy of 3 angels said...

*pengsan*

and i thot i was bad!!

Anonymous said...

My uncle who's a doctor staying in Australia, let his son chew and suck his toe and he didn't stop the boy. My uncle's mum was totally freak out....maybe toe is not as toxic as croc shoes. hehehe

凯妈 said...

huh? shoe? OMG!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

omigod!!!! this is by far the worse. i have seen mothers giving things, other than baby stuff for the child to chew :S

Fussy mum said...

WHAT! a shoe? what's wrong with this mother?

sarah said...

i don't know about that baby but mine doesn't like to chew on her toys (those that are safe to be chewed) or teethers. She only likes to chew on things other than her toys. Mine has chewed on shoes before, not coz i gave the shoes to her but she grabbed her leg up while sitting in the stroller and chewed the shoe (she was wearing them). Since then i never let her wear shoes when she sits in stroller.

Annie Q said...

Alamak! Shoe!! I think that mummy must be mad!