Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Do You Allow Your Kids To Read In The Car?

On most Sundays, my girls will each borrow a book from the church library. Once they get into the car, they will enthusiastically read the books that they had borrowed. I think that reading in the car is better than having their eyes glued to the 2 screens watching DVD in the car. I don't like my kids to be such TV addicts.

Though I had told my kids many times not to read in the car, lest they get dizzy, they keep telling me that they are just fine! No dizziness or motion sickness. I can't believe that they are fine reading in the car coz I am one lousy fella who will surely have a bad bout of nauseousness if I ever read in the car. I remember one incident. I was 8 years old and had read a book that I borrowed from the library in the car, all the way from my school back home, for a good 20 minutes. When I got home, I got really nauseous and then developed a fever that left me puking for many days! Maybe it was just mere coincidence but that incident had developed a phobia in me reading in a moving vehicle.

Do you allow your kids to read in the car?


Pix of my girls reading in the car, taken today, after church... on our way to Xenri Japanese Restaurant. My girls read their books for 20 minutes in the car and were fine. No motion sickness and no nauseousness! Thank God! I would have puked!





















6 comments:

Chris said...

I am extremely prone to motion sickness since having vestibular neuritis. Thankfully my son has none of that, my dtr a slight case. I always say to encourage reading anywhere, except at the dinner table. You are lucky your kids like to read. We used to go on long road trips (8-10 hours) and reading was highly recommended!!

Chris said...

I am extremely prone to motion sickness since having vestibular neuritis. Thankfully my son has none of that, my dtr a slight case. I always say to encourage reading anywhere, except at the dinner table. You are lucky your kids like to read. We used to go on long road trips (8-10 hours) and reading was highly recommended!!

Little Kit Boy said...

Is always good if our kids love reading and will read no matter where they are provided they are fine with it.

But for me, I think we are the same batch of human. I for sure cannot read in the car, not even flipping through a catalogue.

Charmaine said...

Reading is wonderful for kids and everyone. I encourage my girls to read anytime and anywhere except during mealtimes. I love to read whenever I can, thankfully do not suffer from motion sickness. My girls are the same too, esp on long road trips, they spend some time reading and also watch DVDs.

chinnee said...

Shireen, i notice the kids only buckled up with the horizontal stripe of the seat belt?

Ann said...

I used to read in the car when I was young. Now I can't. Its the age! REckon maybe kids have better inner balance. We are just all too stressed out. :)