Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, September 23, 2013

Cheese-Baked Rice

Last week, I tried a new dish - cheese baked rice.  The girls and I had tried cheese-baked rice at several restaurants when we were back in Ipoh this year and I had told them that some day, I am going to try dishing it out.

It is pretty simple and I did not follow any recipe. I diced some chicken fillet and marinated them with soy sauce, mixed herbs, garlic salt and pepper in the morning. I like to do all the cooking preparation like cutting and marinating in the morning. Once this chore is over and done with, I can sit at my work place without having to worry about it.  In the evening, I stir fried the chicken fillet with big onions and garlic, red and yellow bell pepper, diced pumpkin and fresh sweet corn kernels.





Cooked rice is placed in a corningware. The ingredients are then transferred into the rice-filled corningware.


Then Alycia helped me to mix the ingredients with the rice.







Next Alycia poured in half a packet of parmesan cheese and 4 slices of cheddar cheese on the dish. 
This is how it looks before being baked in the oven for about 15 minutes, uncovered.





That's the final product!   Add some chopped spring onions or you can even throw in more cheese if you like it really cheeeeesy!






My homemade baked-cheese rice was absolutely delightful and my girls totally loved it.  It ain't very hard to whip up and I am definitely going to cook this dish more often! :)



The yellowish outcome of the last two pix was caused by the yellow lighting at my dining table. Actual color of this dish was way more appealing ;)








5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm.... looks very delicious. If only I could tolerate dairy product, I'll definitely going to try cooking this dish. Was told that instead of cheese, I can substitute with pumpkin puree.

ChloeRuoyi said...

I've cooked this too. The first time I made this, I also used sliced cheddar cheese for the topping but felt that the taste wasn't quite there. Second time, I used mozzarella and the "yummy scale" shot up a few notches higher ;)

Health Freak Mommy said...

ChloeRuoyi, actually I had wanted to buy Mozarella cheese for the baked cheese rice and pizza but all the brands of Mozarella cheese require consumption within a week after opening (printed on the packet). There is no way we could do that and most times, we had to bin the cheese that turned mouldy. So I stuck with sliced cheddar cheese. Next time, I have to plan to cook 2 items in the same week, that use Mozarella in the dish :)

Chris said...

Try freezing the cheese...it will be mushy but totally fine for cooking/ baking. As a matter of fact freeze cheddar in brick form and it will crumble easily after freezing, hence no need to grate. I keep my mozarella / cheddar/ havarti more than 2 weeks in the fridge, hence not sure why your packaging is different. Btw the "cheddar" in the plastic is actually processed cheese.
Anyway, versatile recipe you have there!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Chris, the instruction on the packet says no freezing. But I guess that if we were to bake the cheese tog. with the dish, it would hv not much difference to the texture (since it will melt) vs eating it on its own. Will try to freeze my cheese next time, tks for the tip!