I whipped these dishes up on the day when our dear part-time helper called me on the dot at the time she was supposed to turn up to say that she's not turning up. All because of the rain, DUH! I could not believe she did this to me again!
If only she could just give me ample time, I could have easily completed all the chores at my own pace from the morning, all spaced out and carried out leisurely, instead of cramping up all the chores to be done only at 6pm. That's the time when my batteries are already three quarter emptied ok, having had started my day at 4:45am. Really pissed off with her as this is not the first time she did this to me, despite many reminders from me to never give me short notice for not turning up for work.
Anyway, I told myself to remain cool and calm. I spewed out orders to my girls to START WORK RIGHT AWAY. Anyone who dares defy the orders will have to bear the brunt of the tiger's wrath, which is all iGadgets to be confiscated, TV remote control confiscated and don't they dare ask me for money!
So boom bang bang, they hurriedly helped to sweep the floor, mop the floor, keep the laundry and fold the laundry whilst I cooked.
I dished up a grilled boneless sesame chicken thigh.
Sauteed organic baby 'lai park' veggie with minced tau cheong, minced garlic, onions and fresh button mushrooms.
I grilled enough chicken for the girls' lunch the next day.
Ingredients for grilled sesame chicken thighs:
Marinate chicken thighs with:
Minced ginger (I used freshly grated ginger and ginger sauce from our regular chicken rice stall)
A dash of Chinese cooking wine
Sesame seed oil
Instead of hoisin sauce, which is used in most recipes, I replaced it with liquid palm sugar, which is a healthier alternative. Do note that hoisin sauce contains flavor enhancer and a string of unhealthy ingredients in it.
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the above ingredients and mix well.
2. Wash chicken thighs and place into bowl of sauces for marinate. You can also use chicken wings, drummets or drumsticks.
3. Instead of grilling the chicken on a charcoal grill, I grilled it in the oven, on an oven tray lined with aluminum foil I always choose the fastest and easiest alternative :D
4. Grill chicken for 15 minutes and baste with remaining marinate sauce and more liquid palm sugar / honey. Turn chicken thighs over and baste again and grill for another 15-20 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and scallions.
This is another recipe which everyone in the family will love. Grill extra for the next day lunch or dinner. Happy trying! :)