Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Alternative To Perming Your Hair

Many years ago when I was still in the corporate world, I tried to be a little adventurous and permed my hair. That was one of the worst decisions I had made.  Not only did I look 10 years older than my actual age in curly hair, my scalp suffered the brunt of the perm chemicals and heat.  Consequently, I had itchy, flaky scalp and dandruff! I was corroded with regret. That hair perm cost me a frigging RM400!  And that was done 20 years ago.

Perming (and hair styling in general) is a tricky thing – you usually understand that it might do some damage but you absolutely want to do it anyway.  I was deeply influenced by my favorite TVB actress who had big wavy curls in a series that I was watching back then.

It is pretty common that a person with straight hair wishes to have curly / wavy hair and a curly-haired person wishes to have her hair straight.   For many women, the after-effects of a "permanent wave" or other chemical treatment can be nothing short of disastrous. Some experience major hair loss after getting a perm. Before going for a chemical treatment, understand the risks involved in perming or relaxing hair.




These are some of the disadvantages of perming your hair:

1) You can’t wash your hair right away.
2) Your hair can become dry and frizzy.
3) You won’t be able to change styles easily.
4) Your scalp can be damaged by the chemicals and heat.  This can result in dandruff and hair loss.

If you have straight hair and wish to have jerry curl weave, water wave weave or even afro kinky weave, there is an alternative to perming your hair and that is to get a wig made from human hair 😀





No comments: