Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Father's Day 2018 ~ 17 June 2018, Ipoh

On Father's Day, my dear papa went to the wet market early in the morning to get us breakfast while I slept in with the girls till 9 a.m.  It's extremely RARE that I get to sleep in till 9 a.m. and I can only do this when I am back at my parents where I am treated like a princess. My clothes will be laundered, meals settled, dirty dishes washed by my papa and chauffeured around.  Back in KL, I am the slave to my daughters who are my princesses. See the karma? 😂


It was Dragon Boat Festival (Zhongxiao Festival) too on Father's Day Sunday and papa bought Zongzi (sticky rice dumplings) from the market. He bought both the savoury ones with meat and plain ones. Back home, he quickly whipped up some Gula Melaka (palm sugar) syrup on the stove in a claypot with freshly plucked pandan leaves from the garden. This is my childhood comfort food and it's been aeons since I last indulged in this delicacy. 




Papa also bought lychees and locally grown avocados from the wet market, which we had for breakfast.  The locally grown avos are sold for a song at RM10 for 3 and they are pretty creamy, non fibrous and has a seed in the shape of a kidney.




While we were enjoying our breakfast, papa stood next to the hot stove for 2 hours, patiently stirring a pot of pandan + egg + santan + sugar  mixture to prep the best pandan kaya in the world for us to bring back to KL. Truly a labor of love from the best papa in the world. Thank you very much papa 💘😘  Papa will be 75 years old this year.






I drank the  remnants of the pandan juice with Gula Melaka syrup. Taste is slightly bitter and lightly sweetened with the aromatic Gula Melaka syrup.  Not exactly a delightful drink (though I love everything pandan-ish) but the health benefits are manifold.  Pandan (screwpine) leave juice detoxes the body, lowers blood pressure, is anti-diabetes, mildly laxative, good for relieving pain from Arthritis Liniment, is anti-cancerous, increases appetite, relieves insomnia, among other health benefits.





After a light breakfast at home, we had a sumptuous lunch at CawanMu Restaurant @ The 1969 Business Suites Boutique Hotel, Ipoh. I shall write  a separate post on our Father's Day lunch at CawanMu.



No comments: