Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The Long White Socks

A relative gave us a brand new bundle of white cotton knee-length socks from Marks And Spencer a few years ago. The socks are of excellent quality. She had bought them for her daughter but the girl didn't like those holey socks.


When your kids breach the 6 years old mark, it is TOUGH to get them to wear anything that they do not like.  Post-millennial kids are a whole lot of different species from Gen-X kids.  Had I dare to reject what my mum bought for me to wear 30 years ago, my life would have been really tough. I remember mum bought a bright pink long jumpsuit for me for CNY when I was 13 years old and I hated that jumpsuit. I felt like a clown wearing it but I was forced to wear it on the first day of CNY. And that was the only time I wore the jumpsuit. Later I resorted to wearing my school PE T-shirt during the remaining days of CNY that year as I felt like I was in my skin better in the PE T-shirt vs. the clown's jumpsuit 😆  But I still obeyed my mum and pleased her by wearing what she had bought for me.

When I showed the socks to Cass, she didn't like them the moment she saw them. There was no way I could make her wear those socks to school. She rather wear her torn socks than to wear those brand new socks. I have been keeping those Marks And Spencer socks for 4 years now, gave more than half of them to my niece and now there are still a few more pairs left.  Before the socks turn yellow and loose elasticity, I brought them out from the closet recently and tried to convince the two younger girls to wear them. At least to sleep!

In my best effort to try to entice Cass again to wear them, all she said was "NO WAY  am I going to wear those ridiculous socks.  You can give them away!"





This morning, I took out the socks and tried my luck to entice Drama Queen to wear them. But I already knew what her answer would be.

Me - do you want to wear these socks?

Sher - YOU THINK??! (SARCASTICALLY!)

Me - You used to LOVE these socks remember? You used to like everything princessy!

Sher - yeah, that was like 10 years ago mum.  Ooops, MY BAD!!


It looks like these beautiful brand new white socks will be given to our helper again. I can fit into these socks but me wearing them? For jogging? No way!

My drama queen, with a wicked sense of humour really cracked me up with her snappy answer this morning.  But most times, her sarcasm and arrogance piss me off. Wonder where she got the genes from 🤔







No comments: