Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Of Maids And Healthy Breakfast

Today I tried out my fifth temporary part-time maid! Annie is my fifth part-time maid whom I engaged in a short span of 9 days. None of the four previous maids worked more than two days.

The first maid stopped working as she was afraid to walk home at 9 p.m. at night. Her flat is about 15-20 minutes walk away from my condo. The second and third maids didn't work out as I could not  accept maid #3 who looks like a thug and has strong ciggie breath. Maid #2 insisted on bringing her friend with her to accompany her back after work. I like Maid #2  but she got offended that I  did not allow her to bring her tomboy friend along to work.

Maid #4 was pretty efficient and I didn't have to train her much but her rate is too high, i.e. almost double of what I am paying to my current part-time maid who has gone back to Indonesia to get married. Maid #4 called me back the next day to reduce her rate by a paltry RM10 but it still exceeds my budget.

The fifth part-time maid, Annie seems OK. But she is pretty calculative on how much time she puts in and told me  before leaving today that she can only work for 3 hours tomorrow and not 4 hours as she is also afraid of walking home at 9 p.m., though her flat is located just a few steps away from my condo. Annie is a cleaner engaged by our condo Management. I'm praying that Annie has no problem continue working for us until Maria returns from Indonesia. If she continues to be good in her work with no attitude issues, I can keep her as my relief maid whenever Maria goes on leave.

So much with part-time maids. I am totally enervated hunting for a maid, training one after another maid only to end up being disappointed with the outcome after 1-2 days.

OK, back to foodie talk!

🍽 

Have I told you that my parents make the tastiest pumpkin kaya in the world?


I finished this bottle of pumpkin kaya all by  myself in less than a week!


I slather thick luxurious layers of  pumpkin kaya on my toast and crackers or simply chomp down a few tablespoons like I would with ice-cream. So yummo!

It's pretty simple to make pumpkin kaya.  First puree the pumpkin by steaming and blending it. Then add coconut milk (santan), a little sugar (optional as pumpkin is naturally sweet) and pandan leaves and cook / stir in the pot till smooth. Plus point is this pumpkin kaya is vegan and very healthy.

After a healthy breakfast of pumpkin kaya on toast, I sipped on organic lemongrass + pandan tea  with blue pea flowers from my parents' garden.





Sometimes I toss a teaspoon of goji berries into my organic herbal tea. Most days I chew on a tablespoon of goji berries.


My breakfast of mil's homemade yam cake seasoned with Korean seaweed and mum's homemade chicken floss.



No comments: