Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, August 21, 2009

Would You Bring Your Kids For A Holiday Or Shopping At The Mall Now?

569 number of confirmed H1N1 cases in a day ain't no joke. One of the deaths recently involved a pregnant woman who was 34 weeks pregnant. Her fetus did not survive either. Oh my, the number of people infected with A and the number of deaths are really disturbing.

The hubs and I are not taking any chances and we will not be bringing Alycia and Sherilyn along with us to Penang during the school holidays. We will have to cancel the hotel room that we have earlier booked for 2 nights. The gals will still follow us back to Ipoh and will stay at my parents. The hubs and I will travel to Penang with only Baby. Baby is scheduled for an MCUG scan next week at a private hospital in Penang to see if she still has Kidney Reflux after the Ureteral Reimplantation surgery in May this year. I will try to put on a face mask on Baby when we are in the hospital, especially at the pediatric ward. I know she will surely pull the mask off but it's worth a try.

The hubs is so concerned of the A pandemic that he is even reluctant to bring the gals out to the mini market or the pasar malam at our neighborhood. He even suggested that the gals stay home and avoid going to pre-school. We will most likely not even attend church this Sunday since Baby is still having a cough and a slight runny nose. Sherilyn got bitten by the virulent cold bug and she's now having the sniffles too. The hubs is not spared and got bitten as well. He's now sleeping in a separate room.

The holiday in Penang that the gals and I have waited for 3 months will not materialize afterall, sigh.... I am a tad disappointed that our holiday has to be shelved. But the gals ain't really upset as they can stay with koong koong and granny, their ever-indulgent grandparents who spoil them to bits. We were planning to stay at a beach resort at Batu Ferringhi and the gals were so looking forward to it. I hope our holiday at a beach resort in Penang can materialize during the December school holidays. This time, the hubs and I are targetting the new Hard Rock Hotel at Batu Ferringhi. This hotel will only open its doors in September. We passed by this hotel when we were up in Penang recently. It's huge and it's awesome. I heard they are now having a limited-time-only promotion and the room rate for a hillview deluxe room is less than RM400 and this price is really a steal for such a grand hotel at the popular Batu Ferringhi tourist area.

Are you as paranoid as me as well? Have you cancelled any of your holiday or shopping plans? If you were me, would you bring your kids along to Penang during the school holidays?

6 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

we are not going to the mall,that's for sure. it's usually packed during the school holidays. however, we still go out for makan. if not..i think i'll go crazy all cooped up in the house :D

MommyAngel said...

I think letting go a holiday really is something more easy to handle then having to rush to the hospital on and off right? You know the feelings more then most of us so it's just temporary .... if I were you, I won't take the chance! You can call me Kiasi when it comes to my Angel :)

But if your girls is willing to put on the mask, then maybe can ‘consider’ la if you were really desperate for a holiday :)

LittleLamb said...

how long can we stay at home? we dont know when this h1n1 will end right?? so i guess as we go out we just hv to take extra extra precaution?

coffeesncookies said...

I'd still bring my girl out for holidays but will avoid shopping centers and public toilets (if possible) and wipe her hands everytime she touches something. I brought her to Mid Valley to meet MaMa & YeYe but I put her on stroller so she'll not touch everything she fancies at the mall.
I think H1N1 can only get worst, what more with the coming monsoon season but we can't stay home all the time right ?

Charmaine said...

Oh dear, didn't realise the H1N1 situation is so bad in Msia. I know it's bad here too, but we are still out and about as usual. Now I am worried when we visit at the end of Sept. Hope it gets better soon. I am sure your two older girls will enjoy time with their grandparents.

Mumsgather said...

I still bring them out to the mall and bookshops but I make try to make sure they don't touch common places like escalator railings etc. We bring along a hand sanitizer and use it when necessary. And I remind them not to touch their faces with their hands. (Problem with that is when I mention NOT to touch, then they start feeling concious and start touching!). Like litte Lamb says, it is here to stay, so we can't stay home forever, just have to make sure the kids know what to do in terms of hygiene etc. After all, we have to send them to school and that is even worse in terms of number of people in enclosed places.