Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Throes of Motherhood... Of Checking School Bags, Tuition Bags and Homework

During the CNY holidays, I had the time to go through the pile of books and 'rubbish' in the girls' room. During the spring cleaning, I 'unearthed' one of Alycia's Mandarin tuition Math book. After checking the book, I discovered that the last homework that the tuition teacher gave to Alycia was in Nov 2011 and that the homework was never done and the book went MIA! The tuition teacher had kept quiet and so did Alycia. It then dawned on me that this could be just one of the MIA homework books. There could be more in the past. In the past, I was too busy to ever go through the girls' school bags and tuition bags. My new year resolution this year is that I must be more involved in the girls' academic side. I must know what's going on everyday. I hate to have bits and pieces of tiny rubbish swept under the carpet, which are only discovered many months later. As I went through Alycia's school bag the other day, I also discovered some of the things that she did not show me like her weekly Ejaan, Spelling, Ting Xie and Xiao Kau marks. Not that she failed or did not do very well but did not score a 100%. Anyway, I am glad that I realized where my mistake was in the past.

I must now take an effort to check their school bags at least 2 - 3 times a week. And ensuring that their tuition homework is completed and whether the tutor had marked the homework is very important. My mum used to sent me to the supposedly best BM tutor in Ipoh but this VIP and famous tutor was so popular and busy that she never marked our homework! I scored a C6 for my BM in my SPM. My mum never checked my tuition homework back then. Hence, I must ensure that this mistake must NOT repeat itself on my girls, ever!

So coming back to the Mandarin Math workbook that was MIA. I spoke to the tuition teacher when she came and highlighted this matter to her. I then suggested to her that there must be a 'Homework Message Book' for Alycia and Sherilyn each. Each time she comes to our house to tutor the girls, she has to write down the details of the homework in the Homework Message Book. This way, she and I can monitor the girls' homework and ensure that homework given is not missed out for marking / correction during the next tuition lesson. I find this very effective. I have just checked Sherilyn's Homework Message Book and found out that she had 'forgotten' to do a Math tuition homework -- 5 pages some more! She bawled when I reprimanded her. I was very firm with her and told her " finish everything or NO DINNER!" Yes, I am quite a tiger mum and I think this is more effective on my girls.

I wonder, for you working mothers with 3 kids and more, how do you find the time to go through your kids' school bags,tuition bags and homework everyday? Do you ever do it and if yes, how often? It's pretty tough to be a good mom, isn't it?

9 comments:

Eunice said...

Ah damn...i won't know how to deal with all of these when my kids are of school going age. I'm a full time working mum and it's really tough especially when i spend long hours in the office. Should I quit my job, should i find something nearer to home, should i work from home??! so many questions sigh. If only i'm a millionaire, i know what my answer will be lol

Chris said...

I remember my kids had an agenda book in which homework was written everyday and parents were responsible for checking it. These days, I hear, teachers post homework online so parents can follow through. Btw, I think u have too much to do already without having to check bags 2-3X a week; my suggestion is make the girls check it once a week in your presence. That way they have the responsibility and they also know big mama is watching!!

Charmaine said...

My youngest has a homework folder that is brought home everyday. Her Yr 1 teacher has been teaching them to be more independent, so every night she has to bring it out for me or hubby to check. We also have to sign her reading log noting the books she read and make comments, and her teacher checks this book everyday. In Year 3 onwards, each student has a diary to write down homework and assignments as well as corresponding due dates. Notes are also in the diaries as well. Parents have to sign the diaries each week to acknowledge that we have read and checked their homework. For busy Mums like me, it's great way to ensure we are across what's happening. My oldest girl also has a white board in her room where she writes down her assignment due dates to help us track. High school gets more challenging. Good idea to lay good foundations now for later.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Eunice, it's never easy to be a good mom. You will know the answer when your time comes :)

Chris & Charmaine, Alycia & Sher's school has the message book system but the teachers are not very strict with the checking. Even if I do not sign the book for 2 weeks, it's still OK!

chanelwong said...

it is not easy...you are doing well managing 3...give yourself a pat...well done...

JL's school make him create a homework book. Every nite, he will open the book to check his homework. Usually before that,he will tell me how many homework he has.. His daily nite routine is to pack his bag. He has another bag under his table which he will keep all the school books which he doesn't need to carry for the day. This to avoid books being misplaced.

As for tuition, his teacher will mark the pages and bundle the books into one. His teacher and I work together very close so JL knows he cannot escape. His tuition teacher will only give homework on the last day of the tuition for the week so that he can do it over the weekend.

Shireen, this haven't include his daily food.. so some of the things I get update from him verbally trusting him to give us the truth...need to treat him like an adult at times...

LittleLamb said...

I m struggling with one now. He is only 5yo n i m already stress-out .

mommy to chumsy said...

i only have 1 kid and i want to pull my hair out already. i check her books every day and i wish i have more hands to help me cope with doing so many things at the same time. *sigh*

mommy to chumsy said...

oh actually Ashley's school has a reminder book where she writes down her day's homework. even with that, i still ask her to check her books as soon as she arrives home. but then i still need to check her bag and books..just in case. you know how strict the school teachers in the chinese school are. don't want her to get punished for forgetting her homework and in the end, not wanting to go to school. :((

Yannie said...

I have no worry of my elder. She is very discipline girl. I have the trust in her. Her dad will check on her homework and school bag almost every day. Whereas the younger one is a bit clumsy and messy, I will check on her bag every now and then I have time. It isn't to be a good mom, I agree.