Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Kids Nasi Lemak For Dinner - 9 September 2014

Today I cooked 'kiddos nasi lemak' for dinner.  My version of  kids nasi lemak is sans salty fried anchovies and peanuts and sans spicy sambal.  I replaced the peanuts with baked cashew nuts.

It was my first time trying out this brand of chicken curry paste, by Mak Nyonya.

The result was a HUGE success!  My super critical and persnickety hubs polished off the entire plate of chicken!



It was pretty easy to prepare this chicken curry.  First I heated up some oil, then put in the curry paste and fried it for a few minutes.  Next, dump in the chicken, puffed tofu and potatoes and cooked until aromatic and browned (about 20 minutes).  Then add in the coconut milk (santan) and some water and let them simmer for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken meat and potatoes are soft.  You can add more water if the sauce is too salty for your liking. I added quite a bit of water as I did not want it to be too salty and spicy.

 

I separated the chicken curry into two portions.  The one in the pyrex bowl was meant to be for tomorrow's dinner. But what do I know?  Hubs liked this so much that he walloped the entire bowl of chicken himself and asked for the second bowl of chicken, woohoo!  Pat on my own back for dishing out such a perfect curry dish :D  Now, I have to think of something else to dish out for dinner tomorrow.



 

Mak Nyonya curry paste is  mild in spiciness.  Even the girls ate it without having to dip the chicken in another bowl of hot water to wash away the curry.  And they did not have to run to the kitchen to look for ice cubes and water.  And nope, I did not feel thirsty after eating this... which means that it is indeed MSG-free!  I will definitely stock up  more Mak Nyonya curry paste.  It comes in a variety of curry pastes for chicken, fish (curry fish and Portugese fish), tomyam, nyonya laksa and vegetables and only cost RM4.90 a packet.

The rice was cooked with fresh coconut milk.  The girls love santan rice incredibly and there is not a single time when we had leftover of santan rice. They can eat the santan rice on its own.  Though I cooked double the portion of rice today, it was still not enough for everyone!  I am so glad that everyone loved my nasi lemak! :)






13 comments:

kcantares said...

I'll look out for this curry mix here. Now I'm craving for Nasi lemak .... =D

Granny Stella Wong Yeow said...

Wow, now I can 'order' your nasi lemak when I come and stay with you in KL! Am proud of my daughter who can cook so well.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Kcantares, good luck in your curry paste hunting and let me know if you have found them :)

Mum, sure. No prob at all! ;)

Joshua & Bryant's mummy said...

Yup we have been using Mak nyonya. Very yummy. We like the curry fish paste too

Health Freak Mommy said...

Shir Lin, is this available in Spore too?

Joshua & Bryant's mummy said...

Yup it is. I buy the paste from tiong bahru market. And we use milk hehe

mun said...

Must be very tasty indeed for your husband to eat so much of the curry chicken. Yummy nasi lemak.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Shir Lin, this paste must be really good then if it is even available in Spore! :)

Mun, Yes it was. Go get a packet and try!

Chris said...

Where is it available in KL? Would like to pick some up when I get there in 10 days.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hey Chris, I got them from Sri Kota, a mini mart. Not sure if other supermarkets have them. Perhaps you want to email Mak Nyonya and ask them which other outlets carry their paste? Their website address is :
http://maknyonya.com.my/

mun said...

I have seen this brand selling in Aeon and Aeon Big supermarkets so should be available in other supermarkets as well.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Mun, thanks for informing!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Mun, thanks for informing!