Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, May 11, 2018

GE14

I voted for the first time at the GE14 on 9 May 2018. This day will forever be etched in my memory, as well as my three daughters' for they have witnessed not only a Malaysia history made but world history as well. Soon they will have to study this historical event in their Sejarah text books.

We reached the polling centre at 9-ish a.m. on the polling day.  As expected, there was already a HUGE crowd and long beeline from inside the school to the road outside the school. Not wanting to join in the queue blindly without first asking, I tramped straight to one of the police on duty and asked him where I should go.  Smart me for asking 😀 The police told me to check what 'saluran' (or stream) I was given and smart me again, I checked my polling details which I had printed at home and told the police that it's no. 7.  He told me to go straight to the 2nd floor. Those who do not know their 'saluran' would be joining in the long beeline outside the school with the merciless sun grilling them.




The entire building from the 1st floor right up to the 3rd floor was filled with people. There was hardly any space to walk!!  I was worried that the building (over 30 years old at least) would collapse!  I saw a lady in her 60s sitting on the steps of the stairs and she was shaking and on the verge of fainting. I joined in the long queue, prepared to wait for at least 1-2 hours.  My bladder was  full and I was thirsty but I persevered and continued queuing.

Though we were queuing up at the corridor of the classroom, it was SUPER HOT!!  The sun was torching directly at us. We were all suffocating there. Everyone was sweaty. The corridor was so squeazy that we were touching each other's sweaty arms. As more voters came and jammed the narrow corridor even more by the minute, it got stuffier. I couldn't wait for my turn to reach the classroom!



After over an hour of queuing, it was finally my turn to cast my vote. I was SO excited! The whole process from checking my IC to checking my hands, dipping my finger and casting my vote was under 3 minutes.

This is what we Malaysians did to fulfill our duty and to seek a change, a new Malaysia!




The nerve-racking moment started after 5pm on 9 May 2018, right up to 10-ish p.m. on 10 May 2018.  For 29 hours, the entire Malaysia waited and waited ~ first on which Party was leading. My girls refused to go to bed and insisted on waiting for the results with their dad.  The hubs only slept at 3:30 a.m. when the results were announced.  When it was finally announced that PH had won and our beloved Tun Dr Mahathir would be the 7th PM of Malaysia, words could not explain how happy I was.

From something that was deemed IMPOSSIBLE, we Malaysians united by putting race and differences aside to make it POSSIBLE.  TDM was the only PM that I knew of when I was growing up. From Proton to Wawasan 2020, KLCC, KL Towers, KLIA, among others, I watched and grew up with so many firsts under TDM's dynamic leadership.  I was then proud to be a Malaysian with him as the leader until...  and now I am proud once again to be one. And I'm glad that now I am no longer anti-government but have switched camp to pro-government!💓

And it was worth the wait and sleepless night...




One of the happiest and proudest moments in my life was when I witnessed TDM swearing in as the PM at the Palace in the King's presence. My entire family watched this momentous event online at home. Everyone, including our girls rejoiced, after a long and arduous wait. FINALLY!!





Ok, let this sink in:
Tun Dr Mahathir is back ~ the oldest PM in the world.
Dr Wan Azizah is first ever female DPM.
We have a fresh new Government.
We've created history.


The face that was once torn off billboards is now pasted on billboards, classrooms, offices and government offices.



TDM has created world history by being the world's oldest Prime Minister at 92 (turning 93 in July).  Witty and with a mind as sharp as razor, I wish this remarkable man "Long Live Mahathir".   Can't thank you enough for abolishing the GST and bringing down the price of petrol 💓






No comments: