Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bottle Feeding Exclusively Breastfed Babies

One of these days, I really have to try bottle feeding Baby C to get her used to the bottle. Now, she only wants my teats and nothing else. If she continues to be so hooked on my teats, there are not many places that I can go to, apart from shopping malls that are baby-friendly that have special rooms for mummies like Jaya Jusco. I will even have a hard time going to the church as there is no special room for nursing mums in my church. The only way I can try making her drink from the bottle is to only feed her when she’s really hungry. But then again, I fear she will get choked when I bottle feed her when she’s really hungry. She will definitely suck too hard from the bottle like she used to when she nurses directly from my breast…. and then get traumatized.

For those of you who have successfully breastfed your baby exclusively, did you also bottle feed your baby? For those who did not bottle feed your baby, how did you manage when you go to places without special rooms for nursing mums or changing rooms for babies?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't hide in the nursing room or wash room to feed my baby. I feed on the go. With a nursing top plus a sling, it's possible to feed your baby discreetly almost anywhere. I have not offer JL's bottle, she's drinking water from cup now, with WH also I didn't introduce the milk bottle until he was 1.

Anonymous said...

I bf my Abilash exclusively for 2.5 yrs without any formula. I bf him anywhere as couldnt be bothered what people said or think. Since he was already 2 plus I straight intro cup instead of bottle. It was a battle to give him formula since he was on BM for so long & havent tasted formula b4. So used to distract him with Barney , etc CDs WHICH TOOK A LONG TIME FOR HIM TO FINISH HIS MILK

Anonymous said...

Ya..get a sling..very convenient and easy.

Chinneeq said...

i love breastfeeding qiqi directly as it is convenient. Sometimes i feed her in the car before I get down. Sometimes I just hide myself seated in one corner of the shopping mall to feed. Sometimes I go into the changing room.

I do bring along a nappy to cover, just in case. People understand when they see u carry a baby like that in one corner.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Thanks everyone for all the advice :)

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to have been able to bf like I wanted too but didn't get my milk up enough after leaving the hospital and haveing problems there with him latching on after being premature and me not being allowed tobf right away. You are lucky. don't worry about what others think most likely they are not even paying attention. And a bf sling is a great idea. I had to go to a hand pump and leave my son in the hospital NICU for 6 days after I was released and my milk supply demished but I didn't give up I keep trying for a long time but ended up just supplmenting with formula and a bottle after first trying to bf as much as possible before the bottle. Well good luck and I got a breast pump from WIC but I never got my milk back up and I used the mothers milk too and redraspberry tea as well but still couldn't get milk backup. Anyway had to turn my pump back in after he turned a yr. old and I still was trying and I think I could have done better if I had had better support to begin with from the hospital and the family.

Anonymous said...

p.s. my son is 31 months now and if I could still figure out how to get more milk I would do it again until he is at least 3 or 4 my step sisters current husband's ex wife bf theri daughter till she self weaned at 5 yrs. there is nothing at all wrong with bf or the length of time you bf it is good for both the baby and the mother in so many ways.