Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dried Gourds



I bet most of you have no idea what these are. These are actually dried ‘kua’ or gourds. I also bet most of you do not have any inkling what these are used for. But for folks from the small city of Ipoh, I am sure you would have seen these sold in the wet market. These are sold at RM1.50 each and can be cut into halves or one thirds to be used as washing sponges / pads to wash dishes. They hardly go moldy, unlike sponges that go moldy really fast when soaked in water. My parents and mil love using these dried gourds to wash dishes.



5 comments:

Alicia said...

tis is the 1st time i c such thing, issit better than sponge?

Mommy to Chumsy said...

ahhh...my mom used this before :D I should keep a lookout for them here eh?

Anonymous said...

My relatives at Kampar will get those for me. I have a bunch of them here now. It's great for scrubbing the back..must better than those plasticsy sponge.

MamaJo said...

Geee, this is first time I saw this thing....after soak in water, what it will turn huh? Soft?

Anonymous said...

I believe they are called "loofah sponges". Very trendy these days and still easily available. In fact I bought one that was attached to a stick for use in the bath. Cost Cdn$1. I wonder how the gourd becomes a loofah.