Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Our First Saturday In 2016 (2 January 2016)

The first Saturday in the year 2016 is also the last Saturday of the 6-week long school holidays.  On Monday, 4 January 2016, it's back to school for the girls. It's finally back to routine and reality for us. Time really flew past us SO SO fast, it's unbelievable that  6 weeks just ended at the blink of an eye.

I had initially planned to bring our 2 older girls to see the dentist to get their braces done, get myself an appointment to have my teeth checked for the year 2015 and fix an appointment for myself to do my bi-yearly medical check-up but know what, none of these were done.  You'll say that I have 6 weeks of holiday but you know what, I find that I am even busier during the school holidays.  We had something to do almost everyday and was away for a couple of weeks for our vacation.

Anyway, I am so excited that the girls will be back to school. I miss my early morning swim in the pool and the quiet morning ME TIME!

After breakfast on our Saturday yesterday, it's back to a little serious work for the girls at home.  I made them write and stamp their names on all their exercise books and work books.

School bags were cleaned much earlier, uniforms checked, school shoes checked, hair cut checked, calls to old and new transporters checked,  fees for transporters checked, cutting of finger nails  - to be done by today and most importantly, getting the girls to go to bed by latest 9:30pm tonight. Now this is the hardest!  For the past 6 weeks, we have all been night owls and have been going to bed way past 1am and sleeping in till 9-10am every morning.  I hope I don't get insomnia tonight. But darn, I forgot about the caffeine in the tea and drank several cups of green tea today! o_O

No automatic alt text available.



No automatic alt text available.


Dinner on our Saturday night was at our favorite bakery-restaurant, Red Kettle - a boiling-hot fairly new hangout at our neighborhood.  The food at Red Kettle is fantabulous. I love every single dish and dessert at Red Kettle. Every single item is so carefully and perfectly executed.

This time, we tried their Chicken Bakar And Rice, which is a very flavorful marinated chicken thigh roasted and bolstered by 2 different piquant taste homemade dips,


No automatic alt text available.


Below - Kettle Salad and Carbonara...

No automatic alt text available.




Below - Fregola Seafood Soup and Pork Burger.

It's the first time we tried the tangy and full of flavors Fregola Seafood Soup and I loved it very much.

No automatic alt text available.



Below : Porkie Rice Bowl.  Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake and Gula Melaka Banana Walnut Cake

Red Kettle's Porkie Rice Bowl composed of char-grilled marinated pork shoulder and topped with an onsen egg that spurts luscious yolk better than your ordinary poached egg. The pork shoulder is marinated for 12 hours. Accompaniments such as sautéed mushrooms, buttered sweet peas, sesame seeds and spring onion add some savoury sweetness to this rice dish.



No automatic alt text available.


For the foodie hubs, each of his meal must have a sweet ending. This time, he ordered a slice of dark chocolate salted caramel cake and a slice of gula melaka banana walnut cake. The salted caramel is homemade and available for sale at RM16 a bottle.

What I love about Red Kettle is that their team makes almost everything from scratch. Even the slice of lightly toasted sour dough bread that comes with your soup tastes oh so yummy! You'll get hooked on Red Kettle's food once you have tried them!


Red Kettle
37, Jalan Bukit Desa 5,
Taman Bukit Desa,
58100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-7988 0801
Open Mon-Sat 12pm-10pm;
Sun closed



1 comment:

Chris said...

Another place to try when I'm there later this month. So excited, just on my own, no kids! Yay(this also explains why I have never won any Mother of the Year awards....)! Just wanted to to share something that was in the papers recently.."What do parents prize most of all?". Interesting, isn't it? Answers: 30% ranked kindness as the top value, 25% good work ethic, 8% chose ambition, 7% leadership. Just made me think if I had done that with my own kids. What struck me is "studying madly" did not make the cut though 'good work ethic' could cover that. The more I thought about it, I think kindness( and mindfulness ) are certainly values any responsible parent would want instilled in their kids. Honestly, if you don't have those, then nothing else matters. Thanks for listening!