Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Simple, Nutritious And Quick Homecooked Meals

These days, I start cooking dinner as early as 2:45 p.m..  On Mondays and Tuesdays, Cass and Alycia are home at 4 p.m.  So I cook dinner from as early as 2:45 p.m.   On other days, I start cooking at 4 p.m.  When the girls are back from school, I see a pack of hungry feral dogs who have not eaten for days, ransacking the kitchen to find food. If there's no proper food on the dining table, they satiate their hunger with snacks -- ice-cream, biscuits, chocolates and other junk.  So I make sure that when they are back from school in the afternoon, their dinner is ready.  And so the three of us have our dinner at 4 p.m!  Sherilyn and hubs have dinner later in the evening.

Dinners churned out are always simple - one meat and one veggie.  Most times, I add eggs and fish cakes / fish balls / fish paste / fresh mushrooms into the vegetable dish.   No fancy schmancy dishes. I allocate 1 hour daily for whipping up dinner, sometimes 1.5 hours, before my Ahmad duty resumes in the evening till late evening on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

These are some of the dishes that I dished out since last week:

Asian beef bowl and blanched broccoli.





Sauteed vegetables with fish balls; reheated frozen braised pork belly with shallots.  The mil cooked the pork belly just before she left for New Zealand 3 weeks ago.  I saved her frozen dishes for reheat on evenings when I do not have the time to cook a meat dish, like when Alycia has a dental appointment or Cass has replacement piano class.




Steamed organic pearl sweet corns for dessert.



With the leftover braised pork belly with shallots, I blanched some organic spinach noodles for lunch for Cass the next day.




Organic dinner ~ sauteed mini king oyster mushrooms with organic Pineapple chicken breast and organic miso, steamed organic sweet corns and sauteed organic spinach with minced garlic.




Organic Pineapple chickens are fed with pineapple enzyme chicken feed and this brand of organic chicken is new in store at our neighborhood supermarket.

Thai Basil minced pork sans the red chillies.







When I realized that the organic Thai basil that I bought from the night market 2 days ago had all shriveled, I had to pluck sweet basil from the pot in my balcony garden!  A week later, I learned from the organic vegetables seller that basil cannot be stored in the fridge. The stalks of basil have to be placed in a cup of water, else they will shrivel and turn brown in the chiller!  Luckily I have backup in my balcony, albeit it's not Thai basil.  😁



Portion kept for Sherilyn who only ate her dinner at 8:30 p.m. after Muay Thai class.



No comments: