Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Ipoh Trip (Monday, 3 June 2019)

We were supposed to return to KL on Monday but the boss gave us one more day in Ipoh. The girls and I were elated! 😁 One more day in Ipoh meant more time to spend with my parents, more Ipoh food for us to tuck into and more time to relax in my hometown.  We would have to wait for another 5-6 months before our next trip back to Ipoh. The second half of the year is always the toughest for the girls and especially me.  I wanted a longer break to fully rest my mind, body and soul before I head back to battle zone KL.  I don't need expensive overseas holidays. A simple few days in Ipoh with my parents, tucking into all my favorite Ipoh food and just slothing around doing bugger all is sufficient to make me a very happy girl. I am pretty low maintenance 😉

Since we have one more glorious day in Ipoh, the boss announced his plan for Monday on Sunday night, which is to have dim sum breakfast at 9 a.m. and the girls and I went "WHAT?  SO EARLY ON A HOLIDAY? EEEEEYERRRR!!!!"  Since the boss said so, we all dutifully dragged our butts out of bed by 8 a.m to get ready to head over to Ipoh's Dim Sum Street with high hopes of getting a table for 11 pax at Ming Court Hong Kong Dim Sum.  No such luck for us as the restaurant was filled to the brim, so we ambled a few steps away to Yoke Fook Moon Dim Sum.








Check out how humongous the 'tai pau' is juxtaposed with the normal size paus.



Love this stir-fried fish noodles with bean sprouts, carrot strips and eggs.




As we walked out of Ming Court Dim Sum, we chanced upon a rare sighting ~ of a ting-ting candy man in action!




Ting-ting sweets are traditionally made from white sugar, maple syrup, honey and glutinous rice. The Chinese call it Gui Fei sweets (concubine sweets) because only the emperor’s concubines consumed these delicacies back in the dynasty days. It gives you a sugar high, but what harm is an occasional candy, eh? But I didn't get any ting-ting candy for the girls as they are not fans of sweets and candies.

After breakfast, it was free and easy afternoon for everyone. Hubs had a gathering with his ertswhile school mates while I went retail therapy with the girls for over 4 hours -- we shopped at our own pace at every store that enticed us, sat down to sip and savor every drop of our Tealive milk tea (this time I didn't choke on the grass jelly!), and had a leisurely lunch. This is something that we could hardly indulge in back at our battle field.  It's always a mad rush from one activity to another back in KL and shopping can only be done within 2 hours on a weekday morning before abruptly leaving the mall to drop off Sherilyn in school.


Despite a heavy dim sum breakfast, the 3 piranhas with bottomless pits could still scarf down Korean food for lunch! And then had boba tea!

After dinner at Sun Marpoh Restaurant, we had Haagen Dazs ice-cream to celebrate Father's Day in advance.


Me with the two fathers in my life and my gorgeous 73-year old mum.





No comments: