Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, July 29, 2019

Nasi Kukus Tonggek @ Food Juction, Mid Valley Megamall

Sherilyn and I were at Mid Valley Megamall two weeks ago as she needed new school  shoes.  This fella changes school shoes at least twice a year.   Really can't fathom as to how her shoes can get damaged so easily. During my time as a secondary school girl over 30 years ago, I wore my Bata canvas school shoes for at least two years!  But I have to admit that I hardly washed my shoes then as I was just too busy lazy.  But my girls are now fortunate to have a part-time helper to help them scrub their school shoes every week.  Maybe this is why their shoes tear so easily? Or the quality back then was better than now?  Do you realize that everything back in the 70s and 80s lasted so much longer than things these days?

Ok back to foodie talk!  After shopping for shoes, we had Nasi Kukus Tonggek, an East Coast Malay delicacy at the Food Junction food court, as suggested by my foodie daughter.




Nasi Kukus Tonggek is served in an interesting way where all the ingredients, gravy and rice are stuffed into a metal can. You then lift the can up, and everything flows out like a mouth-watering lava cake.










I ordered a Nasi Kukus Ayam Tonggek (RM8.90) and added a side of fried sotong king (RM12.90) and shared this with Sherilyn.

One spoonful of the fluffy white rice mixed with its delightful gravy and I was hooked for life 😋  Best of all, the dishes are priced very affordably.

The ayam kampung chicken thigh is char-grilled to perfection, locking the juices in the meat and the meat, marinated with special spices is oh-so flavorful! The flavors exploded in my mouth like magic!

The sotong is such a joy too, for sotong lovers like myself and Sherilyn. Evenly battered and deep fried, the texture of the sotong is super crunchy and surprisingly not dry. When the dishes are tossed together with the gravy and rice, this seemingly simple dish takes on an altogether elevated form to create the perfect canvas to a sumptuous hedonistic meal!  We will definitely be going there again, I can't wait!








Nasi Kukus Tonggek Mid Valley
Address: Food Junction, Level 3, Mid Valley, 59200 Kuala Lumpur.
Operating Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. (Daily)



No comments: