Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Meals Served By Daycare Centres

When I picked Cass up from pre-school a few days ago, I saw one of the assistant teachers preparing lunch for the daycare kids.  I was taken aback with what I saw.  She was scooping rice onto the plates and each plate of rice had about 1-2 tablespoons of steamed egg. She then mixed the rice with the steamed egg.  The steamed egg was plain without any minced meat but just a drizzle of soy sauce.  I asked the assistant teacher if that was it for lunch.  Any veggie? Any soup? And she smiled and said NO.  I was like "That was it??!"  I seriously think that there should at least be a plate of green veggie or a simple soup. But that was just it.  A  no-frills budget meal for growing up small kids. Several times last year when I picked Sherilyn up from that pre-school, I saw the same assistant teacher preparing lunch for the daycare kids.  Lunch consisted of only 1 dish or only 1 soup.  Once I saw baked beans with rice and that was it.  Another time I saw a simple ABC soup with rice and that was it.

Parents, do you think that the quality of food served by daycare centres should improve? At the very least, there should be a meat (or an egg) + veggie dish everyday.  And I am just very curious to know if other pre-schools serve similar type of food with solo dish for lunch everyday.  If I can remember correctly, the daycare fee is about RM500+ a month from that pre-school and this I think is costly taking into consideration the quality of food that is served.

4 comments:

Montessorimum said...

Very common, when I went for as school hunt years ago, most of the kindy I went during lunch hour serve very simple cheapo lunch. My Jl kindy also not any better so as the daycare Center for primary school kids.

I am do glad I am sahm that able to provide proper meals for my children

Linda said...

My daughter half day care cost RM300 until 2pm. Luckily they are serving proper nutritous food. When I spot checked the first time, they have fish veggies and soup.

Tammy said...

I did a few spot checks at my daughter's kindy recently. I purposely went in during their lunch time to see what my daughter was eating. 1st, I saw diced fishcake (commercialized kind) and frozen mixed vege with white rice. 2nd time, it was preserved vege (ham choy) & jap tofu with rice.

I used to top up an extra RM50 monthly for her dinner in daycare as well. they told me she would be served the same food as lunch, I had no choice at that time as my girl was a very fussy eater and I had a hard time feeding her at home.

2 months ago I stopped paying for her dinner and I cook her nutritious food daily. Very sakit hati to see her eating those food in school daily.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Elaine, thank God we can afford to stay home to cook nutritious meals for our kids!

Linda, only RM300 and up to 2pm is cheap!

Tammy, gosh how can the daycare ctr serve kids with preserved vege? Alternatively, you can cook in bulk during weekends. Then deep freeze them into smaller portions. Then bring the frozen food to the daycare ctr daily and ask the care takers to reheat the food for her everyday.