Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Of Lunch Bags And School Canteen

Rascal #2 has an appetite as big as a horse! She eats more than rascal #1 and even me. Almost everyday, I pack 3 - 4 slices of bread with homemade kaya (coconut jam) into her lunch box and yet, she has been telling me that she is still hungry during recess. On most days, she will still buy something else from the school canteen. I suspect she is sharing her food with her buddies, hence she does not have enough food to eat, knowing this little social butterly of mine.

Here, I have packed 2 thick slices of homemade pandan chiffon cake, 3 pieces of Tiger Susu biscuits and 1 packet of chocolate flavored milk into her lunch bag. Yet, this rascal came home and told me that she was still hungry and spent RM1 to buy fried rice. RM1 fried rice? That cheap!?  I can imagine that the fried rice is heavily flavored with MSG to 'lure' kids to keep buying them. My girls love the RM1 fried rice and RM1 maggie mee (fried instant noodles) sold in their school canteen. Sometimes they buy nuggets too. And I wonder why their school is still allowing the sale of fried nuggets and sausages when I had read from the recent newspapers that the Health Ministry is banning the sale of such junks in school canteens!?

6 comments:

Yannie said...

I either packed lunch box for them or let her buy lunch at school. They are not allowed to bring lunch box and spend at school at the same time. I control them.

Inspired Momx1 said...

#2 really have healthy appetite huh!:) My boy does share his packed food with friends and I allow him to buy food from the canteen if he's still hungry.

The mommy says, can share food but cannot lend money to others,hahaha he has the same few classmates who always come to him for money to buy food. Sad to say that some kids splurge their pocket money on unnecessary stuff at the school's bookshop leaving nothing for food.



















mommy to chumsy said...

wow, it's good that she has such big appetite. mine can't even finish her 1 piece of bread sometimes. i think all schools sell nuggets and sausages cos they are so easy to prepare and kids love them :P

Little Kit Boy said...

Many schools are still selling nuggets and sausages. Maybe yet to really enforced.

I love to see kids with good appetite. Your girl is so good.

Charmaine said...

It's good that she has a healthy appetite. Bringing food from home is healthier. I guess canteen food is seen as a treat. Wish the canteens in Msia will stock healthy options soon. Lucky over here, the canteen is staffed by volunteer parents and only healthy food options e.g. sushi, vietnamese rice paper rolls, sandwiches, soup in winter, wraps etc. But of course, cost more than $1.

Charmaine said...

It's good that she has a healthy appetite. Bringing food from home is healthier. I guess canteen food is seen as a treat. Wish the canteens in Msia will stock healthy options soon. Lucky over here, the canteen is staffed by volunteer parents and only healthy food options e.g. sushi, vietnamese rice paper rolls, sandwiches, soup in winter, wraps etc. But of course, cost more than $1.