Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Mooncakes And 3D Flower Jelly

I got a pleasant surprise last week when a delivery rider called me on my phone to tell me that he had delivered something for me from my boss, an online news agency.  I quickly asked Cass to collect it from the lobby and was itching to know what it was! 

A very pleasant surprise awaited me from Mandarin Oriental Hotel!


It's a box of four mooncakes!


So aesthetically wrapped and presented in a quality wooden oriental gift box.


Red bean flavor.

Matcha flavor.


White lotus flavor.

Cass who was doing an IF broke her fast as she couldn't resist the temptation of the dainty mooncakes and tried all the flavors.

Thank you very much to my boss and Mandarin Oriental for the yummy mooncakes!!  

Yesterday hubs surprised me with a box of 2 mooncakes from Kam Lun Tai, just because I commented that the KLT white lotus mooncake that he bought last week was very tasty and not too sweet.  I'm not a fan of mooncakes and won't buy them.  Hubs usually buys them as he loves mooncakes, especially those with double yolks.


Love the gift box from KLT, with smiley cows. I'm born in the year of the cow 😁

These KLT mooncakes come with double yolks. Only hubs eats the yolks. We usually single out all the yolks for him.

These 3Q mooncakes were gifted to Alycia by Kaylee's mum last month when she visited Kaylee, her coursemate who's from Melaka.  Alycia took a bus with another coursemate to Melaka and stayed at Kaylee's lovely abode for 2 nights.  Before they left, Kaylee's mum gifted all the girls who came from KL with 3Q mooncakes, Melaka famous Gula Melaka (palm sugar) and mini mooncakes with grated coconut filling. 



The mooncake fillings are composed of meat floss, yolk, and mochi. The exterior of the mooncake is encrusted with white sesame seeds. It's my first time trying 3Q mooncake from Melaka.


Mini mooncakes with a generous filling of fresh grated coconut and pandan-flavored grated coconut.


Hubby's aunt who stays 2 floors below our unit recently attended a class on how to make 3D flower jelly and gave us a big 3D flower jelly.


Edible art - too pretty to eat. I'm always intrigued by how these intricate 3D jellies are made as the flowers, fish and animals inside the jellies look so real. No molds are used for the floral or nature-based designs inside the jelly. Instead, they are injected into the jelly using syringes and special tools.  The entire piece of edible art looks very convoluted and intricate.  It takes loads of patience and time from someone to create these beauties. 







No comments: