Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Throwback Food Snaps

On Chap Goh Mei, which is the last day of CNY, we had dinner with the Yaps (hubby's extended family members) at Restaurant Rue Ee Teochew Fish Pot @ Overseas Union Garden. 

I didn't really have a proper breakfast or lunch that day as I had an appointment at my gynae's office for my yearly pap smear and ultrasound scans in the morning.  When I got home, I rushed off some house chores, dolled up, and left the house at 5.45 p.m. for the 6 p.m. dinner.  We were informed by the restaurant staff that we had to leave by 7.30 p.m. for the restaurant's second round of diners.  It's very common for Chinese restaurants to have two or three rounds of lunch and dinner during CNY with scheduled timing.  The customers have to leave the restaurant by a certain time to make way for the next group of customers.

Thus, I was really famished when the food came.  Fortunately, the dishes were rolled out really quickly as we were expected to quickly eat and leave by 7.30 pm.  Every single dish was delectable and there wasn't really any fault to find in the dishes.

Must-have yee sang.




This was the first dish after the yee sang.  It may look vapid and 'white' but it's the most scrumptious and my top favorite of all the dishes that evening.  It's a seafood salad, comprising generous portions of crab meat, fish meat, topped with crispy fried anchovies in a moreish salad dressing.

Pan fried prawns in a sticky thick sauce.

Stir-fried kailan with Chinese wine and ginger strips. It looks like a no-frills veggie dish but it was delish.


Claypot herbal chicken with wolfberries.


Claypot grouper fish.


Stir-fried ramen with seafood.  This looks like run-of-the-mill starchy fried Hokkien noodles but looks can be deceiving.  For someone who doesn't like starchy noodles, I actually liked this very toothsome dish with generous amounts of squids and prawns.


Braised pig's trotters.  Not my kind of dish (high in fat and collagen, which is not good for my cholesterol and fibroid) but everyone enjoyed it.


Lunch at Kooky Plate @ Jalan Yap Ah Shak, Chow Kit, 50300 Kuala Lumpur

After sending Cass to the skating rink a few Sundays ago, hubs, the mil, and I had lunch at Kooky Plate.  We were actually heading to Yut Kee @ Jalan Kamunting, Chow Kit for the much-raved-about Hainanese chicken chop but they were still closed as it was the 8th day of CNY.   Yut Kee has been around since 1928 and serves traditional Hainanese favorites.  So we wandered around that area to see which eatery was open and chanced upon Kooky Plate.


The items on the menu were a tad limited. I picked a fusion Nasi Kerabu to sample, just for comparison with the Nasi Kerabu from hubby's kitchen 😜. I prefer the latter as his Nasi Kerabu has more veggies, herbs, and spices.  Nonetheless, the Ayam Percik smothered in luxe Percik sauce is full of flavors and yummo.


The Shakshouka is mediocre. It's not bad but I think I set my bar too high as I have a great teenage chef at home who can whomp up an impressive Shashouka that everyone loves. 


Big Breakfast. 






No comments: