Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hearty Dinner

That's what we had for dinner 2 nights ago :



Zucchini omelette. You should try this dish. It's simple and wholesome and your kids will surely love it. My kids and I love Zucchini.


Stir-fried petai (stinky beans) with prawns and shallots.



Hoi Sum
(sea cucumber) braised with pork, dried flower mushrooms and dried 'wong kai lon' (a type of dried cuttlefish).


That's one of the advantages I get when my mil is back. I don't have to worry about what to cook for she will kau tim the cooking and marketing part.

I never knew cooking sea cucumber could be so tedious until I saw what my mil did. It took her almost a week to prepare the sea cucumber dish. First she soaked the sea cucumbers for more than 5 days or until the sea cucumbers turned soft. Everyday, she would change the pot of water used to soak the sea cucumbers. On the 3rd and 4th day (I think), she would boil the sea cucumbers. After boiling, she cleaned the sea cucumbers carefully, which was a very onerous task. Then, in went the sea cucumbers into the pot again to be soaked in cold water for a couple more days. Finally when the sea cucumbers were soft and clean, she cooked them. I would NEVER cook this dish myself! No wonder this dish is so expensive in restaurants. And people love eating sea cucumbers as they are free of cholestrol and high in protein and other nutrients.

1 comment:

Bits said...

Wow! You are so lucky to savour all these dishes and a good cook MIL. I love sea cucumber too and when I read about the hard work behind it, it could took me long time to think of making it... hehehe...