Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Homecooked Meals

The mil was away for a few days with her  visiting eldest daughter and grandson from Hong Kong early this week. So I had an extra chore for the few days that she was away.

Cooking is not really my forte, though I can excel at it IF only I have a full-time helper to help me in the washing, chopping and prepping, especially the aftermath of cooking and eating. The thought of peeling and chopping garlic and onions turns me off.  And the washing of greasy pots and pans!  I know I am spoilt like that and Alycia takes after me. I never needed to cook all my life as I had my por por who was an excellent cook to dish out 3 meals for us everyday.  She even washed our dishes while we lazed around. Best por por in the world. Sadly, she did not live long enough till today to allow me the opportunity to cook for her and wash her dishes.

On Monday, I grilled chicken drumsticks for lunch;



Chicken drumsticks were marinated with organic extra virgin coconut oil, turmeric powder, coriander powder, curry powder, black pepper, salt and Lea & Perrin sauce. Fifteen minutes before the heat in the oven was turned off, palm sugar syrup (Gula Melaka) was drizzled on the drumsticks.  It was my first time grilling meat with coconut oil and thankfully, the smell of coconut oil wasn't overpowering. The 3 fussy eaters walloped all 6 drumsticks.




Finger licking good with drumsticks gnawed clean by the littlest fiery creature!




The next day, I cooked mushroom sauce to go with the grilled lamb that the hubs' chef cooked in his kitchen.  The mushroom sauce recipe was taken from Recipe Tin Eats, my favorite Japanese recipe blogger  who is an Aussie.  I tweaked the recipe by swapping canned / packaged beef broth with homecooked chicken broth.  I boiled half a pot of broth using chicken keel, carrots, onions and potatoes.





Wholesome goodness mushroom sauce!  The green onions are from my balcony garden!



The girls loved the mushroom sauce and I am SO proud to say that for the first time in our history of having grilled lamb at our house, everything was scarfed down, even the greasy lamb skin! 😆 We are not lamb or mutton fans. Not everyone can tolerate the smell of lamb or mutton. But this time, I win them over with this winning mushroom sauce! Definitely a keeper.





No comments: