Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Grandmother In Her 40s

Last week I had a chanced encounter with an ertswhile classmate's sister who is 2 years my junior at the supermarket.

Our eyes met and then that stranger who looked terribly familiar smiled at me and asked if I was Shireen. She then introduced herself as KF, KL's sister. I was so happy to be able to reconnect with a long lost friend and we jawed away incessantly for about 15 minutes.

The two sisters used to car-pool with me in my parents' cars almost throughout our secondary school years.  We lost contact after leaving school when we were 17 years old. That's 29 years ago!  And to think that she still recognizes me after almost 3 long decades, I must definitely be still looking the same! 😊😉 ahem!!  She looks almost the same too, except a little plumper, but still as pretty.  And she has 4 kids - 3 grown kids studying in college and university and the youngest daughter is in primary school.  She got married young and now at 44, her eldest has graduated from university already! How envious of me!

And then the shocker. She told me that KL, my former classmate is already a grandmother to 4 grandkids! Her eldest child is 26 years old.  I didn't ask how old her grandchildren are but being a grandmother in your 40s is something that's uncommon in our country in this generation. I think she must be the youngest grandmother amongst our group of classmates. WOW, I am so happy for my friend! The Chinese would call this 'good life' when you have grown up and independent kids and you're still so young. I can't imagine myself being a grandma now or even 10 years down the road when I'm 56 😂  though my mum was already a grandmother at 57.    Today I finally have the time to send a Whatsapp message to KL to reconnect with her and we've been chatting just like how we used to back when we were teenagers.

Here's what Sherilyn whomped up during the recent public holidays. I know it's totally unrelated to this post but I realized that my blogs have inadvertently morphed into a food blog 😄 and my readers are liking it as I've been receiving many messages from them asking me about restaurants and food.

Chocolate cookies made with sugar-free dark chocolate:






Strawberry smoothie with strawberry yogurt, fresh milk and fresh strawberries.






No comments: