Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Benefits of Kinesiology Tape: Why It’s Used by Athletes and My Family

Kinesiology tape, commonly known as KT tape, has gained immense popularity, especially among athletes, including Olympians, who use it to alleviate pain and support muscle recovery. It has become such a staple in sports medicine that even in my household, KT tape is a permanent fixture on my daughters' bodies—almost like colorful tattoos.

Sherilyn uses it for her back injury from dance training, while Cass applies it to her ankle to support her during figure skating.  Recently, I’ve started using KT tape on my right hand in an attempt to manage the nagging pain from tennis elbow.



Kinesiology tape is a thin, flexible tape developed to aid muscle movement and enhance athletic performance. It is often used to relieve pain, reduce swelling and inflammation, and provide support to joints and muscles.

Many Olympians and top athletes swear by KT tape because it helps reduce pain without hindering their performance. One of the primary benefits of KT tape is its ability to lift the skin slightly, which increases blood circulation and reduces inflammation. By doing this, it also helps to alleviate pressure on muscles and joints, which can be especially useful for athletes pushing their bodies to the limit.

In my household, Sherilyn, Cass, and hubby use KT tape regularly. Sherilyn applies it to her back, an injury sustained from dance training a few years ago that still hasn’t fully healed. The KT tape provides her with enough support to continue her rigorous dance routines without aggravating the injury. Cass, on the other hand, uses KT tape on her ankle, which has seen persistent strain from figure skating classes. The tape gives her the stability she needs on the ice without compromising her performance. Hubby uses these tapes on his legs and right hand.  He plays basketball regularly and often has injuries on his legs. He, like me, also has a tennis elbow on his right hand.

Recently, I’ve joined my daughters and hubby in the KT tape trend. I’ve been dealing with tennis elbow, a stubbornly persistent condition. The pain makes even simple tasks, like lifting objects or folding a blanket, a challenge. Applying KT tape to my right hand has provided some relief, though it’s not a cure-all. However, the support it gives me has helped me manage everyday movements and reduce strain.

KT tapes sold in pharmacies are very expensive, about RM50 onwards for a roll of 5cm x 5m tape.  I buy these tapes at a fraction of the price online from Lazada, at around RM15 a roll. These tapes come in many bright and attractive colors, as well as nude. I prefer colorful ones as I love anything that's colorful.


KT tapes sold at one of the pharmacies @ Lazada, which are pretty expensive.




Cheaper KT tapes are sold by other sellers on Lazada. I bought these.


No comments: