Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cantonese Style Pasta

My 2 older love eating yee mein or yee mee or yee fu mein (deep fried noodles made of eggs and flour). If I buy yee mein, I will either cook it Cantonese style, ie. with egg sauce poured over the the crispy noodles or Hokkien style.

The other day, I prepared the yee mee ala Cantonese style for lunch. First I prepared the sauce. The ingredients used were chicken breast, cabbage, 3 eggs, some left over smoked salmon, soy sauce, some corn flour to thicken the sauce and a dollop of thick dark sauce. Here is how it looks like in the wok:


I ran out of corn flour, so the sauce was not thick enough.

At the same time in another stove, I boiled some Heinz alphabet and number pasta with some cubed carrots for Baby. This portion is enough for lunch, dinner and deep freezing:



Before adding the dark sauce and remaining soy sauce into the sauce/ingredients, I scooped up some of them from the wok and poured in on Baby's pasta. I don't like putting too much seasoning into Baby's food. Here's how Baby's pasta looks like:



When it has cooled down, I put it into containers for deep freezing:



And this is for the 2 older gals:
I seldom buy yee mee for the gals as I feel uncomfortable with one of the ingredients called 'ash' used to make the noodles. I wonder what ash is. Could it be the remains of fire or some kind of chemicals that makes the noodles so tasty? I wish someone could give me an answer on this.



Baby enjoying her Cantonese style pasta.

3 comments:

LittleLamb said...

i remembered you posted this before. for the yee-mee, you dont cook it or blanch it at all? just pour the gravy over?

BoeyJoey said...

I don't feel comfortable too giving my kids yee mee and yellow noodles. I usually prepare either pasta, mee hoon or pan mee for them.

Hmm... cantonese style pasta is one good idea... will try it someday :-).

Health Freak Mommy said...

Rachel... no need to blanch or cook the yee mein. Just pour the sauce over. Very convenient to prepare this dish. You can deep freeze the sauce and whenever you feel like eating Cantonese style yee mein, just heat up the sauce and pour it over the noodles!