Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, July 10, 2022

9 July 2022 ~ Saturday Dinner

Both mil and Sherilyn had to go to the optical store.  Mil had to get new prescription glasses after her cataract surgeries and Sherilyn, this girl broke her expensive glasses!

Not even a year ago, I got Sherilyn a pair of new glasses as her power had increased. She chose a frame that was pretty costly and promised me that she would take good care of the glasses. But during a volleyball training session last week, she broke the glasses and it was irreparable.  

Can you feel how enraged I was? She broke her almost RM600 glasses and we're now supposed to get new glasses of HER CHOICE?  Heck no! I told her that she could only choose a plastic frame and my budget was only RM250. But she refused. She said that she'll get a metal frame and choose one that she likes. She said she'll pay the difference. 

Alright, fine.  She also promised me that she'll pay the full cost of the next pair of new glasses herself if she damaged the existing pair of glasses.

I remember I used cello tape to tape up my glasses when I accidentally sat on it and broke the frame. I was only 15 and such a sensible girl for not wanting to burden my parents financially.  

Maybe I wasn't assertive enough to squeeze out a new pair of glasses from my parents but if I was more assertive, I would have been hollered at or even got slapped by my tiger dad. Heck!

And if I were to spank my teenage child now, she would scream child abuse and report me to the authorities! 

Times have changed.

And so here we are at this cafe right opposite the optical store having dinner while Sherilyn is trying on her almost RM600 new glasses at the store.  

After her dad paid the balance, she told me that she has also ordered a box of disposable contact lenses costing almost RM150!

NO, I'm not paying for the contact lenses. She'll have to use her part-time job earnings to pay for them herself. 

And guess what, she fell asleep on her bed just now with her new glasses on and holding a phone in her hand that's charging and got an earful from me!

Gen Z problems!!





2 comments:

Joshua & Bryant's mummy said...

Arh, u should get her contact lenses during sports. Much safer. That or get sports goggles. I just got sports goggles for Bryant. Lenses alone was RM300, and he's using koko's old frame. Everything is expensive now 😒

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hi Shirlin
Yes I got her disposable contact lenses, which she'll wear during competitions or vigorous activities. I don't know why she didn't wear them that day. Alycia also bought disposable lenses herself using her p/t job earnings. And yes, everything is so so frigging expensive now :(