Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Is The Cloudy White Coating On Blueberries, Grapes and Plums Safe To Eat?

I have never failed to wonder whether the cloudy white coating on blueberries, grapes and plums are safe for consumption. What is this white coating? I often wondered whether the white coating is chemical sprayed onto the fruits to prevent them from being attacked by bugs or chemical used to preserve the fruits. 

Today as I washed a punnet of blueberries and popped the sweet berries into my mouth, my curiosity got the better of me.  I Googled for an answer to quell my doubts and curiosity. 




The white waxy coating is called bloom, and it's there to protect the fruit from damage and disease. 

It's natural and it's not sprayed on artificially. The coating protects the berries from any external damage. The bloom, otherwise known as epicuticular wax, helps stop bacteria and fungal spores from sticking to the fruit and spoiling them.  In fact, all fruits are coated in bloom - and it's just because blueberries are so dark that it is more visible. 

Although the white film may scare some off,  shoppers should in fact actively seek blueberries covered in the waxy coating as it means they are fresher.

The waxy coating does such a good job of sealing in moisture and preserving freshness that farms don't wash them before they reach the supermarket because they don't want to remove any of the wax.

If you, like me, have always been having the same worry whenever you eat blueberries and grapes, I hope this post gives you some peace of mind now. But don't forget to give your fruits a good rinse under running tap water before you enjoy them.


No comments: