Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Can You Eat Eggs And Ginger If You Have A C-Section

I was told by friends that I should avoid eating eggs, 'sang yue' (ikan haruan) and ginger for the first 2 weeks post-delivery if I have gone through a c-section delivery. Reason? These food will cause the wound to get infected and turn ugly. Eggs and fish are high in protein. Protein will heal the wound and make the flesh grow rapidly, thus causing the flesh in the wound to overlap. The Chinese also believe that the ginger will cause the wound to turn ugly and I don't know the reason behind it. I did not believe in this myth and I ate an egg a day and lots of ginger throughout my confinement. Thank God, my wound healed without getting infected and it did not turn ugly too.

Have you heard of this myth? For those of you who had gone through c-section deliveries, did you refrain yourself from eating eggs, sang yue and ginger for the first 2 weeks of your confinement?

7 comments:

Jess said...

I took ginger and eggs too...but not sang yue cos many told it will cause the wound look ugly when heal.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

yes i avoided those food for the first 2 weeks. even my paed advised me not to, especially sang yue. eating sang yue will cause the wound to heal very fast but there is no point because the flesh inside is still raw.

Unknown said...

You gave birth already huh??My sister is also avoid eating those.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Sweetiepie... nope, I'm only due next week!

Annie Q said...

But i think wound turn ugly, not really related to the food we eat? Because even thought i avoid eating egg and sang yue, i still got a ugly scar/wound till today! Same goes to my previous operation (remove cysts), according to my gynae it's depend on your "skin type", sensitive or not so sensitive. That's y i got a look alike "worm" scar on my belly button. :(

MamaJo said...

I eat 'san yue' immediately after C-section, but, my mom only limit me to have 3. Reason: scare overheal....and, I remember I do take ginger immediately as well together with liver, etc...so far, my scar is so beautiful seal, just like one tiny linear line...I guess, should thanks my gynae for good work...he,he

Health Freak Mommy said...

AnnieQ.... Yup, I think what your gynae said is true, it really depends on one's skin.