Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, August 8, 2020

RMCO Homecooked Meals

Lately I've been posting many photos on the delectable food dished out by hubby's chef as we've been eating a lot of these.  Before the MCO, we ate mostly homecooked food as we have Maria, our part-time helper to help us wash and clean up 5-6 days a week. Now that she only comes in twice a week and I've overused my right hand till the wrist is inflamed, I try to take the easy way out with takeout from hubby's shop. Since his chef cooks everyday, why not get him to cook extra for us?  The Mil can take a respite from cooking too and my poor hands get to rest.  Although my right hand needs many days and weeks of rest to fully heal, it's not quite possible not to use it. The best I can do for my wrist is to try not to turn or twist it at certain angles, avoid carrying heavy things, rub deep heat cream and stick Salonpas on it. 

Thus, the mil only cooks about 3-4 times a week now.  I plan the menu and shop for the ingredients. These are some of the dishes that she dished out this week:

One pot chicken rice with yam, long beans, dried shiitake mushrooms and Chinese sausage. My kind of meal!


My all-time comfort food - roast pork bones porridge with carrots. 


Stir-fried French beans with fried 'foo pei' and Mugwort ('Ngai') omelette:


Fried 'Loh Sue Fun' with homegrown mung bean sprouts, prawns, fried 'Foo Pei', crab balls, eggs, French beans and pork. We had this for lunch and dinner today.


Banana cupcakes (with ground almonds) baked on Tuesday and marble loaf cake baked on Wednesday, by MIL:


My 100% flawless Cameron Highlands avocado, bought from a family at the park. It's jumbo sized and only costs RM7.30.  I hope the seller has Camerons avocados again next week.  

This vegetables seller lost his job when the pandemic swept the world and shut it down. He's another new kid on the block at our neighborhood, joining the dozen who had to resort to selling vegetables and food by the roadside during the MCO.  His whole family comprising his wife, aged mother and two young sons (aged about 13YO and 5YO) tag along to the park to help him sell vegetables. His stall is always swamped with customers (mostly senior citizens) who go for their daily morning exercise at the park.

A stone's throw away from the park are two new pop-up roadside stalls selling Nyonya kuih, biscuits and traditional Chinese desserts. One vendor used to sell ladies clothes and bags at the night market and another vendor used to be a tour operator.  Covid-19 is like the Black Death for micro businesses and tour operators.  I've been patronizing these stalls regularly to give them all the support that they need right now so that they can continue to place food on the dining table for their families. 

No comments: