Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Time To Resume Healthy Eating

I have a confession.  I haven't really lived up to my blog moniker of being a health freak mommy.  For the past 1.5 years that we've been in and out of lockdowns (MCO, RMCO, CMCO, FMCO, EMCO),  I have not been eating as healthily as I should have been.  Our country has the most types of lockdown in the world and yet the Covid numbers are rising scarily every day 🙄.  Today's tally is 13,215 😭.

Unhealthy snacks and foods gave me the comfort that I needed throughout the lockdown. Being cooped up in an apartment 24/7 for 1.5 years with 3 teenage girls and a mil is something that no educated and working woman in the 21st century looks forward to. Thankfully hubs is in the essential service and gets to work at his central kitchen.  So that's one less person to be copped up with 24/7!.    

Besides running outdoors, the other thing that I have been doing throughout the lockdown to get my dose of Serotonin is snack on junk food. My favorite snacks are muruku, satay fish, brownie chips (albeit this is considered 'healthy' as it's made from supposedly healthy ingredients), emping chips and tapioca chips.  My kind of go-to snacks are not as gravely sinful as the typically labelled bad junk food like potato chips, candies and ice-creams but they are still processed snacks with sodium and sugar. After 1.5 years, I realized that I've had enough of unhealthy snacks. I told myself that I have to start eating clean and healthy again for myself. I have a fibroid growing again and I have Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (genetically inherited high cholesterol) and if I continue snacking on junk food, I'm slowly digging a grave for myself.

I have been avoiding getting a cholesterol blood works done this year and I can only brave myself to go to the clinic after I'm done with several months of eating clean to clear all the junk from my system.  And yes, I have to clear all the negative and pent-up emotions in my system too as these are also partly to be blamed for the fibroid to grow again. 

So here I go shopping again for healthy foods -- raw organic sprouts / microgreens, organic bell peppers and organic salads. And not forgetting the sweet potatoes, walnuts, almonds and other nuts.  I also sip on fresh lemon juice and premium matcha throughout the day.

My healthy lunch of pesticide-free greens (baby spinach, baby kale, red and green chard) with avocado, a hard boiled egg, almonds, cashews and pecans drizzled with sesame dressing and a splash of apple cider vinegar.  




I love the range of pesticide-free salads from The Greenery.  Their veggies are grown in fully enclosed greenhouses without the use of fumigation and pesticides.



We've been having sourdough breads pretty frequently lately as hubby's aunt who stays 2 floors below ours is still perfecting her sourdough bread baking. Thus we're the fortunate beneficiaries of her range of sourdough breads, sourdough pancakes and sourdough herb biscuits.


The mil treated us to Aussie avocados. She shared a box of avocados with a relative purchased at wholesale price @ RM4.70 each 

One of my healthy brunches this week -- raw red bell pepper with mashed avo + hard boiled egg.


No comments: