Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Easy Way To Prevent Coffee Powder From Hardening In The Bottle

I discovered by chance that by placing a wooden stick or wooden spoon inside my jar of coffee powder, this will prevent the coffee powder from hardening.  It was a pure fluke discovery!

I have always hated scraping hardened coffee off the glass bottle each time the coffee powder reaches the bottom of the jar.  Recently, I noticed that each time I put a recycled ice-cream stick inside the coffee powder bottle, the coffee powder remains fresh and loose until the last granule. After finishing a few bottles, I realized that it must be the wooden stick absorbing moisture from the coffee powder. And that's the reason why my coffee powder stays fresh and loose.  I've tried placing a stainless steel spoon in the bottle and the coffee powder hardened even faster.  It must be the compounds in coffee that reacted oddly with the metal spoon.




Hardly any hardened coffee powder at the bottom of the bottle.  The coffee granules stayed fresh and loose till the last bit.  

If you've always struggled with scraping and hitting your bottle to get the dang hardened coffee powder out, try the wooden spoon/stick method and see if it works!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will definitely try this, especially for brown sugar which clumps readily unless I put the brown clay bear thing in it which has to be removed every few months and resoaked before returning to the jar. Another idea, get a wooden spoon(inexpensive) and use it inside the jar, double duty! Thx for the useful tip!
Chris

Health Freak Mommy said...

What's the brown clay bear thingy, Chris? We put recycled wooden ice-cream sticks into our jars of sugar, corn starch, salt too. They never clump up too :)

Anonymous said...

I don’t know if there is an official name but google clay bear for brown sugar.
I put grains of raw rice in the salt shaker to prevent clumping.

Health Freak Mommy said...

I just did a google on clay bear. Didn't know that such a thing exists! :D
Another tip - we put dried chilies into our rice jar to prevent weevils from infesting.

Anonymous said...

Great tips!
I also put fresh curry leaves into curry powder( without the stems) and keeps for years, no refrigeration needed. Have also done that with daun kesom which I happened to have grown a ton! These spices may be inexpensive in Msia but over here can be pricey and if I don’t use them up, they rot and get thrown out. Have also done cut up pandan leaves in flour, again no refrigeration. I also cut them up and freeze them.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Wow, you have so many handy tips! Putting pandan leaves in flour is to prevent weevils too? Our organic flours always have weevils and we have to refrigerate them.