Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Sunday, August 27, 2023

My Careless Daiso Purchase

We've all experienced those moments when we make a purchase that leaves us shaking our heads in disbelief. Today, as I strolled through Pavilion Bukit Jalil after Cass successfully passed her figure skating tests, I found myself in one such situation – a tale of a seemingly innocent Daiso purchase that turned out to be quite a costly lesson in assumptions.

The day began on a high note as Cass triumphantly conquered not just one, but two figure skating tests. Celebratory spirits were high, and after a fulfilling lunch at Grand Harbor restaurant, I decided to make a quick pit stop at Daiso to pick up some household essentials. Among the items on my list was a new stainless steel bowl for my beloved cat, Haru. Little did I know that this seemingly straightforward purchase would lead to a lesson in mindfulness and attention to detail.


Our sumptuous lunch at Grand Harbor, Pavillion Bukit Jalil


As I perused the array of stainless steel bowls neatly displayed, one particular option caught my eye. A double-layered, lightweight, matte-finished bowl seemed like the ideal choice for Haru's dining needs. Pleased with my find, I made my way to the checkout counter, paid for my items, and continued my leisurely stroll through the mall.

It was during this leisurely stroll that reality came crashing down. A nagging feeling prompted me to review the total on the receipt against the number of items I had purchased. To my dismay, the numbers didn't add up. Panic ensued as I closely examined the Daiso receipt, and that's when I discovered the source of my mistake – the stainless steel bowl I had chosen for Haru was listed at a staggering RM17.70, not the RM5.90 I had assumed.


The RM17.70 double-layer constructed stainless steel bowl from Daiso. It is heat-proof on the outside, which makes it perfect for putting hot soups.

At that moment, my heart sank as I realized the gravity of my carelessness. The bowl intended for my furry friend, which I had purchased without properly scrutinizing the price, was now three times more expensive than I had anticipated. My initial assumption that all Daiso items adhered to the familiar RM5.90 price point had led me astray.

Although I contemplated rushing back to Daiso for a refund or exchange, time constraints and a husband eager to depart held me back. As I weighed my options, I decided to chalk this up to a lesson learned. This wasn't just about an unfortunate purchase; it was a reminder to never underestimate the importance of clarity and attention to detail.


Toilet selfie, as usual 😁


Upon reflection, it became clear that my lack of reading glasses had played a significant role in this mishap. As age has caught up on me, I now need reading glasses to read small prints. But I don't bring my reading glasses out. The seemingly ambiguous digits on the price tag appeared to resemble the familiar "Yen" symbol rather than the Malaysian Ringgit. This experience underscored the value of taking the extra moment to ensure I had the proper information before making a decision.

In the end, the stainless steel bowl that was meant for Haru has found its place for my own use, serving as a tangible reminder of the importance of mindfulness in all transactions. The bowl will always make me chuckle to myself each time I use it, reminding me of my oversight.

So, the next time I find myself amidst the charm of Daiso's aisles, I'll be armed not just with my shopping list but also with a renewed commitment to careful consideration. And I must remember to bring my reading glasses out or just use my phone's camera function to enlarge small prints 😛


No comments: