Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, April 27, 2007

Homemade books



My gals love 'reading' books but commercial books are full of attractive pictures that easily distract kids. Whenever I read story books to my gals, I will most often than not end up feeling really cheesed off by them coz they (esp. Alycia) will not focus their eyes on the words as I point the words to them. Instead, Alycia's eyes will start wandering off to the pictures and she will imagine herself being one of the characters in the pictures. She will then start her "why, why, whys" and will ask me loads of questions pertaining to the pictures in the book.

With some ideas from the www.childbrain.org forum, I made my own books using pictures of the gals printed from my home printer and wrote stories about them. My gals love the books as the stories are all about them. I could have made more for them but because of time constraints, I have also printed out some from the childbrain forum, which my gals love too. All you need are some A4 size papers, plastic protector sheets and a plastic fastener to bind the pages as shown in the pix above.

2 comments:

Samm said...

Hi, Samm here :). Thx for dropping by my blog earlier and for linking tomy blog. I've returned the favor. Will be visiting more :)

Unknown said...

I think it is okay for kids this young to look at the pictures in the books and not so much on the words. That's how they enjoy the book. I always look for books with good illustrations. Anyway, the pictures are suppose to help them read. And sometimes it makes for additional discussions beyond the text. So don't discount out the pictures.
And I think it's great that your daughter is using the pictures to conjure up some imagination. I would encourage it. Eventually they will focus on the words. Don't pressure it on them.
When my kids ask me why, I ask them back the same question. Most of the time, they have better answers than me :)