Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, April 11, 2020

MCO Day 25 ~ 11 April 2020

Hubs was in the mood to cook today, thus he took over the kitchen to dish out both brunch and dinner  for everyone today!

Brunch was pretty simple, composed of fried wallet eggs and onion tuna mayo on sourdough toasts. I've never really liked sourdough breads but have now gained an acquired taste for it. The secret to enjoying the perfect sourdough bread is to toast it till it's crispy. This is how I enjoy it and I discovered my love for sourdough bread at Tommy Le Baker @ Jalan Kg Attap.



For tea time, we had steamed Japanese sweet potatoes while our Baking Queen prepped a luscious mango banana smoothie bowl for herself and shared some with me.




To celebrate the weekends (though every single day feels the same when you're quarantined at home!), which we always do pre-MCO, we had pan-fried steak, a grilled root vegetables dish composed of carrots, pumpkin and sweet potatoes, steamed organic sweet corns and blanched organic spinach and lady's fingers.  Hubs pan-fried the steak and turned the kitchen into a greasy smoky mess!!! 😱😭  And I spent the rest of the evening wiping down the stove, tiled walls, glass sliding door, floor and sinks.  And this is the sole reason why I just hate frying anything in the kitchen that would create oil splatters everywhere.  The only upside is that after chowing down the calorie-laden beef steak, my tummy rumbled again two hours later as I'd burnt off most of the calories from a solid one hour of cleaning both the dry and wet kitchens, washed two bathrooms and moped the entire house.

Perhaps next time I should place flattened cardboard on the kitchen floor so that cleaning up is minimal, like how the village folks do 😬  However I know my idea will be rebuffed outright by the two chefs in the house!



Well done steaks for the kids, mom and wifey and medium rare with oozing blood for the bloody carnivore.






6 comments:

Chris said...

I hate frying too but we are lucky we can grill in the backyard pretty well year round. Was going to suggest that it might be worth your while to invest in an air-fryer. I had contemplated getting one but unable to justify it. You have more mouths to feed and cook a lot more!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Hey Chris
Wish we had a backyard too. I'd love to have my wet kitchen in the backyard with washable floors so that it's easier to clean up after cooking. We used to have a backyard wet kitchen before we moved to our condo. I miss that house.
My mum recently got an air fryer and she loves it a lot. She uses it to fry and cook everything from char siew to keropok, cakes, etc
The air fryer capacity is kind of small for our house of 6 adults (kids eat like adults), with 4 very big eaters. So it's not very practical for us at this moment. Moreover we don't have space for anymore gadget in our tiny kitchen.My mil said that if I want a new gadget, I have to give away an old gadget to make way :D

Chris said...

Thought maybe you could look into the Cuisinart air fryer/ toaster oven; it is not shaped like a round tub, more like 2-3 trays inside a toaster oven type gadget. That was what I was looking at at Xmas last year but decided against it.

Health Freak Mommy said...

I just Googled Cuisinart air fryer. It's not available in Malaysia. Price quoted is OMG - a whopping $19,999! Don't think we can afford that lol! But really good to have one if you cook a lot for your family. My hubby has an industrial Combi oven that costs this much though, and that's in his kitchen.

Chris said...

Holy Cow!! I could have gotten one here for C$200!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Wow only C$200? Go get it, go! ;) ;)