I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) in 2001 when I was 28 years old.
What prompted me to see a gynaecologist was how suddenly everything changed. My weight shot up from 42kg to 47kg in just one month, I started getting acne on my chin, and my periods came only a few times a year. I just knew something wasn't right.
After an ultrasound scan, my gynaecologist diagnosed me with PCOS. It came as a real shock.
Looking back, I suspect years of work stress and unhealthy late-night meals may have played a part. At that time, I was working as a PA to a prominent Dato', and my job was incredibly stressful.
Being the health geek that I am 😄, I spent countless hours reading and researching everything I could about PCOS. Instead of relying solely on medication, I decided to make major lifestyle changes. I adopted a very low-carb diet and exercised consistently every single day, come rain or shine.
One important thing I learned is that PCOS is commonly associated with insulin resistance, which increases the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
True enough, despite eating very little sugary food, exercising regularly and following a low-carb diet for years, my HbA1c was still 6.0 when I had my blood test in February 2026.
Since moving back to Ipoh, I've cleaned up my diet even more. I've eliminated about 95% of junk food, including chips, ice creams, biscuits and ultra-processed foods (UPFs). The remaining 5%? Well... life is too short to completely give up the occasional slice of cake, ais kacang, or my favourite kuih! 😊
I also believe that my chronic insomnia, brought on by perimenopause, is one of the biggest reasons why my HbA1c has remained stubbornly at 6.0. Unfortunately, even taking magnesium bisglycinate twice a day hasn't made much difference to my sleep.
This year, I've added several new habits to help improve my insulin sensitivity:
- Strength training
- Zumba
- Daily brisk walking
- Taking apple cider vinegar + lemon juice after meals
- Eating protein and fibre before carbohydrates
- Continuing my habit of not sitting down immediately after meals (OCD me mop the floor and clean the kitchen after every meal)
- Cutting back even further on carbohydrates, including bread and oats
My next blood test is in September, and I'm really curious to see whether all these lifestyle changes have made a difference.
I'm hopeful that my HbA1c will improve, but at the same time, I'm trying to stay realistic because quality sleep continues to be the one piece of the puzzle that I haven't been able to fix.
Until then, I'll keep doing what I can—eating low-carb meals, practising intermittent fasting whenever possible, staying active, and hoping that one day, I'll finally enjoy a full night's sleep.
As for strength training and my daily brisk walks... I know they'll remain my faithful companions for the rest of my life. 💪❤️
Nuts, seeds and legumes are my only snacks now. No more chips, ice-creams and biscuits.
No comments:
Post a Comment