Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Homeschooling

In less than a month’s time, Alycia will be wearing the dark blue and white uniform for primary school students and pushing a trolley bag, ready to start Primary 1. She has just turned 6 years old and I think she will be one of the youngest in her class. I can’t believe how fast time has zoomed past us. Exactly 6 years ago, she was my long-awaited, first bundle of joy and now, she’s so grown up and ready to start primary school. I really don’t know how she will fare in a Chinese public school. Right now, she is already struggling with her written Mandarin. Each time she asks me for help in her written Mandarin, I have no choice but to turn her down and say “sorry, mummy can’t help you”. I feel really bad about this. When she officially starts school, I hope she will eventually catch up and cope well.

If my hubs and I have enough money, we will definitely send our 3 girls to a private school. I have even considered homeschooling my girls but in our country, homeschooling is still not widely practiced and accepted. In Western countries, homeschooling is a very common practise. It is way cheaper than sending your kids to a private school and you can select from a wide range of homeschooling curriculum from such websites as globalstudentnetwork.com. I have visited their website and am impressed with their range of curriculum online. I may want to use their curriculum for comparison with our country’s education curriculum. If you are interested in homeschooling, you may want to check out this website.

No comments: