Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

My First Attempt at Cooking Rice in a Pressure Cooker: A Lesson Learned

Not too long ago, I decided to try cooking rice in my Philips pressure cooker for the first time. I chose black rice and added two sweet potatoes to the pot, thinking it would make a nutritious and delicious meal. I selected the “Rice” setting on the pressure cooker and waited for the cycle to complete.

When the cycle was done, I eagerly removed the lid, only to be greeted by an unexpected sight—a sticky, doughy paste instead of the fluffy rice I had envisioned. It was completely inedible. I realized I had likely added too much water, which caused the rice to overcook and turn into a mushy mess. That wasn’t the first time I cooked black rice with sweet potato together. It always turned out well in the rice cooker.

Determined not to waste the food, I decided to cook it for another cycle, hoping to salvage the rice. Unfortunately, the result was even worse than before. In the end, I had no choice but to discard the sticky rice. Since the girls were in a hurry to eat, they ended up having the dishes without any rice.

After this mishap, I’ve learned my lesson: I don’t think I’ll be using the pressure cooker to cook rice again. From now on, I’ll stick to a proper rice cooker for perfect, fluffy rice every time.


Looks disgusting but tastes like some kind of sweet potato kuih.  I actually ate quite a bit of it 😁


No comments: