Yesterday was a very eventful day for my parents and me.
The day started as usual, with Mum and me attending our personal training session at the gym. It was our 20th and final session. I thoroughly enjoyed every workout, although "enjoy" doesn't mean it was easy! Every session was physically demanding and often painful, requiring plenty of determination. Looking back now, I can genuinely feel how much stronger I've become. Exercises that once felt impossible or extremely difficult have become so much easier. That's a really rewarding feeling. 💪
Even though our personal training has ended, Mum and I will continue going to the gym to enjoy the unlimited group classes, including Zumba, yoga and strength training.
After the gym, we drove to Falim to meet Dad's siblings, who had come to Ipoh for lunch. Before we left, I offered to drive because it was quite a long journey, about 40 minutes. But Dad insisted on driving. I can never win that argument, so I let him.
We had a wonderful lunch together with my aunts and uncles. The food was delicious, but even better was the chance to catch up and spend time with everyone.
After lunch, I once again offered to drive home, but Dad refused. By the time we reached Ipoh, it had started raining and the roads were slippery.
To be honest, whenever Dad drives nowadays, my anxiety level shoots up. At 83 years old, his eyesight, reflexes and judgement are understandably not what they used to be. Sitting in the passenger seat, I often find myself stepping on an imaginary brake with cold sweat or instinctively telling him to slow down, brake, or pull back to the left.
As we reached Ipoh Garden, it was still raining. Suddenly I felt the car was moving too quickly. I told Dad to brake... but it was too late.
He couldn't stop in time and our SUV bumped into the back of a Honda hatchback.
The Honda's rear bumper was dented, while, quite unbelievably, Dad's SUV escaped without a single dent or scratch.
Dad immediately got out to speak to the other driver. For a split second, I thought he was comedian Harith Iskandar because he looked so much like him! 😄
The gentleman, who happened to be Indian, was incredibly polite, calm and understanding. There was no shouting, no anger and no hostility. Later, I spoke to him over the phone, and he was just as pleasant. I felt so terribly sorry that we had caused him so much inconvenience.
After that, we headed to the police station to lodge a report for the insurance claim. Unfortunately, the reporting system went down, so we waited nearly two hours before the report could finally be printed.
After discussing the pros and cons of paying for the repairs ourselves versus making an insurance claim, we decided to claim the insurance. This means Dad will lose his No Claim Bonus (NCB) and will also have to pay a RM300 traffic summons for causing the accident.
It was a stressful and traumatic day for all of us, but I kept reminding myself of one important thing: it could have been so much worse.
I'm deeply grateful that no one was injured. I'm also thankful that I was there to help my parents with the police report, liaise with the insurance company and communicate with the workshop.
What a day it was! Life can change in the blink of an eye, and moments like these remind me that the safety of everyone involved is far more important than damaged cars.
I told Dad that perhaps this accident was a gentle wake-up call from God. Thankfully, it wasn't a serious one, and no one was hurt. I said that from now on, whenever we're travelling a longer distance—whether into town or out of town—I hope he'll let me do the driving. At 83, there's no shame in letting your daughter take the wheel. In fact, it would give Mum and me much greater peace of mind. ❤️
Watch the video here >> https://www.facebook.com/reel/3592338244256473
No comments:
Post a Comment