Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, September 28, 2026

The Homework Years

This is the scene at our house in KL back when my girls were in Chinese primary school. Every single day, there would be a mountain of homework piled up on the dining table — just from school. And then there was another pile of Chinese tuition homework waiting for them on their desks.




Life revolved around homework: school homework, Chinese tuition at home, more homework from the tutor, and BM tuition outside for the two older girls.

Eventually, they got so sick and tired of homework that I think it actually backfired. 😂 I knew they were hiding their homework and not finishing it, but I was often too busy with my own freelance work and running my online shop to check every single day.

Every now and then, I would check their school bags and discover unfinished homework hiding inside. Some of the piles honestly shocked me. 

I really didn't know how to handle it because, at the same time, I knew they were exhausted. Chinese wasn't their first language — English was what we spoke at home, and both their parents couldn't speak Mandarin. So here they were, trying to keep up in a Chinese-medium school while juggling tuition and even more homework.

Somehow, they survived all six years at Kuen Cheng 2, which was a Grade A school and, back then, recognised as a Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi. Two daughters went on to study at a Chinese Independent High School and survived yet again.

Looking back, I'm actually glad those crazy homework years are behind us. And despite all the struggles, I'm also glad I sent them to a Chinese school. Today, all three of them can converse fluently in Mandarin.

Meanwhile, their yellow banana mum is still struggling with Mandarin and has to use Google Translate. 😂🍌

So I guess all those piles of homework were worth something after all. 😆






No comments: