Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Thursday, October 26, 2023

De.Wan 1958 by Chef Wan @ The Linc KL

Last Sunday, my family and I went to De.Wan Restaurant for lunch, a dining establishment I had long yearned to visit. Renowned for its exquisite Malay cuisine, this restaurant is owned by Malaysia's beloved celebrity chef, Datuk Dr. Chef Wan. As a fan of his cook shows since I was young and his infectious sense of humor, I was thrilled to finally dine at his restaurant.








My intrigue for De.Wan was fueled by the rave reviews I'd heard from my sisters-in-law and hubby’s relatives, who would sing praises of the delectable dishes whenever they visited Kuala Lumpur from overseas. In August of this year, when my eldest SIL from England came to town, we had initially planned to visit Chef Wan's restaurant. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our plans when her son fell ill with a stomach flu.

So when my husband suggested dining at De Wan Restaurant, I wholeheartedly agreed, excited to indulge in an authentic Malay culinary experience.

Our order included a delectable lamb Kuzi, a mixed satay platter featuring succulent beef and chicken, the savory Rendang Tok (beef rendang), Chicken Kapitan, sambal eggplant, Nasi Telur Terengganu (rice), Nasi Pandan Delima (rice), and a delightful bowl of Cendol.


Crispy and yummy fried peanut crackers as appetizer, on the house.


Our delectable spread.


Satay with chunky, lean, and tender meat. 


Chicken Kapitan

Sambal egg plant.


Two varieties of aromatic steamed rice 

My favorite Cendol with a scoop of ice-cream, thick coconut milk, gula Melaka syrup, kidney beans and cendol jelly. At RM20 a bowl, it is more than enough for the four of us.


Every dish was executed to perfection, boasting the use of premium ingredients and a generous infusion of herbs and spices. The standout for me was the Cendol, which was thick, creamy, and easily one of the best I've ever tasted. I savored every dish hubby ordered, except for the Lamb Kuzi, as I'm not particularly fond of lamb. While the prices may be on the higher side, the generous portions and the quality of the ingredients justified the cost.

The menu


The menu


Our delightful meal left us yearning for more, and we've already planned to return to explore the other treasures on De Wan's menu. The restaurant offers an enticing array of Malay dishes that I can't wait to sample.  The service rendered by the waiting staff was excellent and they were very friendly and helpful.

There was a 25% discount for Public Bank card holders. So if you're a Public Bank debit card or credit card holder, do quickly visit De.Wan before the promotion ends.


We couldn't finish the lamb kuzi and beef rendang and had them doggy bagged home for dinner the next day.


After lunch at De Wan, we made a pit stop at Bean Brothers, a café chosen at random by hubby. Sherilyn, who always seems to have assignments in progress, continued her work at the café while we enjoyed coffee and cakes. The café, with its chilly air conditioning indoors, prompted us to opt for outdoor seating, where we observed pet parents enjoying the ambiance with their fur babies.





After coffee and cakes, we did grocery shopping at Ben's Independent Grocer (B.I.G.). I love the variety of fruits, vegetables, meats, and groceries available at B.I.G. 


A wide variety of minced aromatics is available, such as shallots, garlic, turmeric, galangal and much more. They are sold by their weight. This is the first time I have seen readily minced aromatics sold fresh in a supermarket. This is really convenient for time-pressed working parents who cook regularly. Now I know where to get them when hubby's kitchen staff are too busy to prepare them for me.


De.Wan 1958 by Chef Wan @ The Linc KL

360, Jln Tun Razak, Taman U Thant, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

Tel no: 03-7890 6016


No comments: