Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fresh Dates



These are fresh kurma or dates. My mil bought these from The Gardens @ Mid Valley. She thought they would be sweet and tasty, just like the other type of fresh dates (the brown ones that are roundish) but nope. These dates are a tad sweet and bitter and if you eat the skin, it's even more bitter. The texture is crunchy but the aftertaste you get on your tongue is like you've just eaten a banana that's unripe and your tongue will be coated by a layer of sap. There's definitely no second time buying these and they are expensive too. A small punnet with 1 bunch cost over twenty ringgit! I wonder if I can let these dates dry at room temperature on their own so that they become dried dates, like the ones sold during the month of Ramadhan.

5 comments:

Mummy Gwen said...

Oh..I thought they were some kind of tomatoes..haha..

Anonymous said...

Yup, u have to let them dry up at room temp (it will be brown)b4 u can eat them. I too didnt know that when I bought some last year. Once it's dry it will be sweet & delish.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Sheela... really? Good, let me try drying them up and see if they taste good! Thanks!

Rachel said...

you are so experimental when it comes to food/fruits.

Anonymous said...

i ever bought in China the fresh dates but in green color ler...it's so sweet!!! I miss them!

...so far never seen red fresh dates here...