Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Friday, October 23, 2009

Baby Drinks Soy Bean Milk With Beancurd

Sick of it and never really liked it before, Baby is hating her Pediasure more and more each day. She kind of likes Marigold HL fresh milk but she is slightly lactose intolerant, so she will have loose bowel and purge after drinking cow's milk. So I bought soy bean milk and beancurd for her. She loved them. She has always liked tofu, even if it's eaten plain, without any soy sauce or seasoning.


Baby enjoying her soy bean milk + beancurd while watching tellie.



The beancurd that I buy is free from 'sek koa' (the coagulant used in the beancurd). The beancurd is coagulated using fruit pectin. The beancurd is super smooth and I normally buy sugar-free ones.

7 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

ahh...good that she likes this. so, can she eats this everyday instead of her pediasure? oh..have u tried the choc flavor pediasure? maybe she would like it.

coffeesncookies said...

That's not so bad. Maybe you can give her more soy and multivitamins/DHA pills, since she dun like Pediasure. I looked at the contents of Pedia, it also consist of soy, sunflower, milk , etc.. a whole lot of ingredients. They just add a lot of supplements to make it a 'complete nutrition'. I stopped giving her Pediasure coz it's sooo expensive.

Big Pumpkin said...

What's the story on them putting plaster of paris into this tau foo fah???

Health Freak Mommy said...

Barb... I've tried all the Pediasure flavors on Baby - chocolate (dislikes) and strawberry flavored Pediasure liquid in bottle, courtesy from Rachel who got them for me from Singapore (dislikes too). She only accepts Vanilla, provided I dilute it.

Elaine... yes, it's frigging expensive. I am thinking of switching her to soy bean powder (lots of brands in the supermarket these days) or fresh soy bean milk. Then give her supplements like you said.

BP... I've heard of the Plaster of Paris used in beancurd too. You think PoP is harmful and toxic to human? Because of this, I dare not feed my kids too much of beancurd or tofu, unless I know they are free of PoP.

Chris said...

Lots of babies just have soymilk as they are lactose-intolerant. So, no worries if that's what C likes. Calcium sulfate is what congeals tau-fu-fah, and it is a very tiny amt, diluted in water. I don't think there is any ill-effects considering it's been eaten for 100s of years. I'd be more worried abt butter and potato chips!
Btw, have u seen the machines for making tau-fu-fah and soymilk? Might be a worthwhile investment. In my younger days I made tau-fu-fah from scratch...wa-a-ay too labour-intensive!!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Chris... I have a soy bean maker. I used to make soy bean milk but have since stopped coz it's quite time consuming. When we moved to our new condo a year ago, we misplaced the plug and cord, bummer! If I can find the missing part, I think I'll make my own organic soy bean milk again and stop buying formula milk for my 3 girls. So much cheaper this way!

Annie Q said...

my way of taking "tau fu fah" is mix with soya bean. Normally i will tell the uncle i want "cham".