Looking for a particular post or topic? Search here!

Where My Readers Are From

Flag Counter

Who's Reading HFM Life

Monday, October 12, 2009

Chicken Pongteh

I recently came across this chicken dish called 'ayam pongteh' or chicken pongteh, which is a Nyonya dish in a few blogs and in Facebook. Looking at the recipe, I thought it would be tasty and easy to cook. So I browsed the recipe by Gertrude who resides in the U.S. (Snippets From My Kitchen. This lady can cook and bake very well), adapted it and here's my ayam pongteh dish:



Our dinner :


Verdict : Everyone loved it, including my pernickety, food critique hubby!

Here's my recipe :
1) Half a chicken + 3 unchopped chicken drumsticks (we all found that chicken drumsticks pongteh tastes better than other parts of the chicken!)
2) 2 tablespoons of tau cheong
3) Chopped garlic and shallots
4) 2-3 medium-sized potatoes, cut into wedges
5) 5 Chinese mushrooms, cut into halves
6) 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
7) Pepper
8) Soy Sauce
9) Water

Method:
1) Marinate the chicken with a little pepper and soy sauce for several hours.
2) Brown the chopped garlic and shallots with the tau cheong paste.
3) Put in the chicken and shallow fry for at least 15-20 minutes until all the chicken pieces turn brown and smells aromatic. When you fry the chicken, you can use the spatula to press on the whole chicken drumsticks against the wok to break up the meat a little. This way, the sauce will seep deep inside. When you eat, it tastes much better, both the texture and the taste.
4) Put brown sugar and mushrooms.
5) Pour in enough water to cover the chicken and cover the wok or claypot. Let the chicken simmer for about 15 minutes.
6) Put in the potato wedges. If the water has dried up, add some more water. Test the taste and add soy sauce / sugar if necessary.
7) Simmer for another 15 minutes.
8) Dish out and serve hot.

You can also cook using pork and call it Babi Pongteh or Pork Pongteh. It tastes just as good. Use half-fat, half-lean pork.

8 comments:

miche said...

My picky eater, Clarissa will never say no to PongTeh! And she will eat double her usual amount and dun mind eating rice for lunch and dinner. normally, one day, one time rice only. Children sure love this dish. :D

Merryn said...

ayam pongteh is ethan's favourite. I think it is any kids favourite as it is very very nice! :)

take note not to substitute the gula melaka with white sugar or it wont taste as nice.. :)

MamaJo said...

Wow..it looks nice and yummy..Definitely will give it a try soon..

mommy to chumsy said...

oh man...i am drooling. going to try this soon :D

mommy to chumsy said...

err...can i use normal sugar instead?

Leona said...

Ayam Pongteh is very appetizing. I like cooking that dish too.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Merryn... I didn't know that the sugar used must be gula melaka until Miche and you told me about it. Today, I got the hubs to buy some gula melaka and I'm cooking chicken pongteh again tomorrow! This time with gula melaka!

Barb... you can use but the aromatic smell of the coconut sugar won't be there! I will try out my recipe with gula melaka tomorrow and let you know the difference in the taste.

jacss said...

wuah...looks like u can 'COOK' too ehh :D
emm, chicken pongteh is a new dish to me...must be after watching little nyonya series, haha